- Housing affordability varies widely across the United States.
- Using data from the Census Bureau, we found the town in each state with the lowest median monthly costs for homeowners.
How much it costs to own a house varies widely across the United States.
The American Community Survey is an annual survey run by the Census Bureau to allow the government, corporate and academic researchers, and anyone who is curious about demographics to better understand the US population. Among many other subjects, the ACS includes questions about how much people who own their homes and have a mortgage pay for housing costs each month.
Using the ACS estimates from 2013 to 2017 for places with at least 500 owner-occupied housing units with a mortgage, Business Insider made a map showing the town in each state with the lowest median selected monthly owner costs, including mortgage payments, insurance, utilities, property taxes, and other fees.
A bonus just for you: Click here to claim 30 days of access to Business Insider PRIME
Here’s a table showing each of the towns, along with their median monthly housing costs for homeowners with a mortgage:
- Read more about demographics and economics in the US:
- Here’s how much male and female American workers earn at every age
- The most and least expensive places to live in America
- The most disproportionately high-paying job in every state
- Here’s how many people in each state were born outside the US
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.