LONDON — Deliveroo riders might be entitled to maternity and paternity leave, sick pay, and redundancy pay if they win a new employment tribunal claim against the company.
For customers, it might mean that takeaway prices go up.
Law firm Leigh Day represented drivers in a landmark case against Uber last year, and has just begun a similar claim on behalf of 20 Deliveroo riders.
The firm is pushing for compensation for the riders, for Deliveroo’s “failure to give them the rights they are entitled to”, according to Annie Powell, a lawyer in Leigh Day’s employment team.
It’s also bringing a discrimination claim against Deliveroo over its minimum age hiring policy.
“Some clients who are 16 years old have been dismissed because Deliveroo has a new minimum age requirement,” said Powell. “We’re bringing age discrimination claims on their behalf.”
If Deliveroo loses the claim, it will have to put more cash aside to provide these basic rights. And the most likely way to fund that is by putting up its prices.
The case is slightly different to the Uber tribunal last year.
There, Uber drivers were classified as “workers,” which meant they were entitled to holiday pay and the minimum wage, but not redundancy pay.
Deliveroo riders are pushing for the higher “employee” status, which would give them additional rights, like a minimum notice period.
This, and the fact there are lots of riders signing up, means a ruling might not happen for more than a year.
Deliveroo has not responded to a request for comment.
More from Business Insider UK:
- 94-year-old McDonald’s worker says her job is ‘a reason to get up in the morning’ (MCD)
- The murders of Biggie and Tupac are still a mystery after 20 years — here are all the theories about them
- Former UFC star: Mayweather’s training partner pick for McGregor fight shows he knows nothing about MMA
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin’s wild path to the Final Four began as the coach of a JV basketball team, when the actual coach didn’t show up
- The ‘Walking Dead’ villain has a warped definition of rape in the zombie apocalypse