- Actress Laura Dern furthered speculation about her relationship to Baby Yoda while on “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert Saturday night.
- Colbert asked about her meme-worthy quote from December that she had seen the creature from “The Mandalorian” at an NBA basketball game.
- Dern jokingly replied that she didn’t want to start a frenzy at the time, but said Baby Yoda was actually her new boyfriend.
- “He’s a 50-year-old baby, so I mean it’s not inappropriate,” she said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“The Late Show” host Stephen Colbert confronted actress Laura Dern about her mysterious, headline-worthy Baby Yoda sighting – at an NBA game, of all places.
Back in December, Dern was stopped on the red carpet at the Gotham Awards and said, bizarrely, that she had seen Baby Yoda that day at a basketball game.
On Saturday, Colbert pointed out a few of the headlines that popped up after her alleged sighting, and Dern chose to lean into the meme, suggesting that she was covering for the fact that Baby Yoda was her new boyfriend.
— A Late Show (@colbertlateshow) January 11, 2020
“I’m just gonna say this, ’cause we’ve been in this business for a long time now and I was raised by actors,” Dern said. “There can be a frenzy when people are friends or have some kind of relationship and people wanna wonder, you know.”
Colbert egged her on, saying that the two are both stars.
“As a baby, he’s a 50-year-old baby, so I mean it’s not inappropriate,” Dern replied. “And I said to my friends, ‘The next man I’m gonna be with, I want him to be incredibly wise, great sense of humour, I don’t mind being the taller one. […] I didn’t mention green, but somehow, you know you never know what you’re gonna get.”
In her original meme-worthy Baby Yoda moment, Dern was asked by a Variety reporter if she’d “seen” the “Mandalorian” character.
“Yes, I just did, just today,” Dern then replied. “I think he was at a basketball game. That’s all I’m going to say. I think I saw him at a basketball game […] It was NBA.”
- Read more:
- Laura Dern made her TikTok debut by pushing her daughter out of the frame to dance
- People are using makeup to transform themselves into Baby Yoda
- Jodie Comer’s dramatic green Golden Globes dress is being compared to Baby Yoda
- The massive popularity of Baby Yoda memes highlights just how successful Disney Plus has been, one analyst says
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.