Good morning and welcome to your weekday morning roundup of the top stories you need to know.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What’s going on today:
- Biden wants no strings on child tax credit. Biden pushes back against Joe Manchin, saying he doesn’t think people need to work to get the expanded child tax credit. Biden flatly responded “no” when asked if he backs a work requirement for the child tax credit, which provides monthly checks to families.
- McCain says Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner crashed her father’s memorial service. Meghan McCain said Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner were “funeral crashers” and “had no goddamn business” being at her father’s memorial service. McCain told Bravo’s Andy Cohen she thought the duo wanted to attend John McCain’s funeral to be part of what turned out to be an “enormous moment.”
- “Jewish space lasers” strike back. Marjorie Taylor Greene got into a screaming match with Rep. Liz Cheney over “Jewish space lasers” comment. “I can’t remember exactly what she said. But they got into a back and forth about Jewish space lasers,” Rep. Jamie Raskin told the NY Daily News.
- Accident on set. Alec Baldwin discharged a prop gun on the set of ‘Rust,’ killing the film’s cinematographer and injuring its director, police say. The film’s director of photography, Halyna Hutchins, 42, died and the director, Joel Souza, 48, was injured.
- Just under the wire. Evergrande has reportedly paid off $US83.5 ($AU112) million worth of interest in dollar bonds ahead of deadline to avoid default.It had already missed the payment on Sept. 23, but had a 30-day grace period before it’s considered a default.
- That’s all for now. See you Monday.