- Lady Gaga performed the award-winning song “Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” at the Grammys on Sunday.
- She donned a sparkly jumpsuit, dark eye makeup, and thrashed around onstage while singing the emotional folk ballad.
- Some thought it didn’t match the song’s vibe and called her performance “weird.”
- Others loved her glam-rock twist on the song.
Lady Gaga took to the Grammys 2019 stage at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday to perform “Shallow,” which is nominated for both record and song of the year at the Grammys this year.
Gaga – sans Bradley Cooper, who sings the other part in the “A Star Is Born” duet – put a glam-rock spin on the folk ballad. The pop star donned a sparkly jumpsuit, dark eye makeup, and thrashed around onstage while belting the emotional lyrics.
Some felt the performance didn’t quite match the vibe of the popular song itself.
Can't tell if Gaga did a remix or a cover of Ally and Jackon's beautiful "Shallow". Where's the dislike button?? #GRAMMYs
— The it kind (@theitkind) February 11, 2019
Gaga went just a little too far off the deep end for the first live TV performance of “Shallow.” Why did she have to make it weird? Come back from BAFTA Bradley!!!!!! #GRAMMMYs pic.twitter.com/bwpsqlciIY
— Cameron Fontana (@CameronFontana) February 11, 2019
Many others, however, praised her high energy, powerful vocals, and fresh take on the popular song.
I. Have. No. Words.
The one an only @LadyGaga has shattered the establishment and brought down the house.
— Bismark (@Bismark_BM) February 11, 2019
— Lady Gaga Facts (@LGMonsterFacts) February 11, 2019
I'm guessing the people who didn't enjoy Gaga's performance of shallow eat the same meal at every restaurant they visit too. #GRAMMYs
— Lisa ♊♏♒ (@lisaluvs2laff) February 11, 2019
If you just missed Lady Gaga singing “Shallow” on the #Grammys, well…you just missed one of the best live performances of a song on TV in a long, long time….majestic voice.
— Mark Marchand (@MaMarchand) February 11, 2019
As usual Lady Gaga’s performance was nothing short of powerful #Grammys
— Gabriella⁷???? (@gabriella_426) February 11, 2019
Some viewers believe Gaga was making a point to set herself apart from Ally, the character she plays in “A Star is Born” – or that fans of the movie and not the artist simply don’t realise that Gaga and Ally have very different styles.
— ~ (@rteresa__) February 11, 2019
Others still noted that Gaga may have been trying to distinguish her performance from her upcoming rendition of “Shallow” at the Oscars.
Also she has to set this performance apart from Oscars version of Shallow with Bradley. So, yeah. It’s a rock version and we’re not getting romantic Ally. We’re getting Lady Gaga, the signer & stage persona for Grammys, and “Ally”/actress Gaga for the Oscars.
— Beulah Marie ???? (@MissBeulah2U) February 11, 2019
Gaga performed Shallow as a super energetic rock ballad at the #GRAMMYs tonight, so I bet she’s gonna do the exact opposite at the #Oscars with Bradley and serve a super stripped back, almost orchestral rendition to showcase her true talent and versatility
— Anthony ???? Lady Gaga News (@antpats2) February 11, 2019
I'm not sure why people had so many issues with @LadyGaga doing an edgier version of Shallow tonight at @RecordingAcad #TheGrammys. It's the friggin Grammys. You go big there & let your freak flag fly. She's gonna bring the heart & soul to @TheAcademy next month #adaptability
— I am K (@lmk66) February 11, 2019
- Read more of our 2019 Grammys coverage:
- Janelle Monáe’s performance at the Grammys was a tribute to vaginas and people were here for it
- Ariana Grande skipped the Grammys, but she gave fans a fabulous look at the princess-like ball gown she would have worn
- Cardi B turned up to the Grammys in a pearl-adorned dress that made her look like she was emerging from a shell
- Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez blew each other kisses while posing together on the Grammys red carpet and fans couldn’t handle it
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.