- On Sunday, Lady Gaga attended the 2019 Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles wearing a strapless black dress designed by Alexander McQueen.
- The nominee accessorized with long black gloves and a giant, 128-carat yellow diamond necklace.
- The necklace included the same stone that Audrey Hepburn wore in publicity photos for “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”
- It’s said to be worth at least $US30 million.
- On Twitter, fans had a lot to say about the jewellery, including some people who said it reminded them of a necklace worn in the movie “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.”
Lady Gaga channeled an iconic Audrey Hepburn look at the Oscars. From her black gown and elbow-long gloves to her sleek updo and glitzy diamond jewellery, Gaga looked like a 21st-century Holly Golightly.
The giant canary-yellow diamond at the center of her necklace is, in fact, the same stone that Hepburn previously wore in a publicity photo shoot for “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” The necklace is said to be worth at least $US30 million.
The 128-carat Tiffany diamond was found in South Africa in 1877, and was later brought to Paris where it was cut into a cushion shape.
The diamond has been set in jewellery on at least four occasions, most famously when Hepburn wore it in the 1961 photo shoot.
Since then, the diamond has been stored on the main floor of the Tiffany’s Fifth Avenue flagship store in New York City. According to a press release sent to E! News, “this marks the first time in history that the priceless 141-year-old Tiffany Diamond has graced an awards show red carpet.”
On Twitter, fans had a lot to say about Gaga’s jewellery choice, with many saying that she looked stunning.
— Nikara Johns (@NikaraJohns) February 25, 2019
Lady Gaga is wearing one of the largest diamonds in the world, worth as much as the production budget for A Star Is Born, channelling Audrey Hepburn who wore it last. What a legend. #Oscars pic.twitter.com/auQdEv5pUS
— Lady Gaga Facts ???? (@LGMonsterFacts) February 25, 2019
Still many others were comparing the iconic look to a similar scene from “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.”
— Lexy Perez (@LexyJPerez) February 25, 2019
— Kelsey (@kelseymarie15) February 25, 2019
You can follow INSIDER’s coverage here.
- Read more:
- The best outfits celebrities wore to the 2019 Oscars
- Jennifer Lopez literally shone at the Oscars in a dress that looked like it was made entirely out of tiny mirrors
- Charlize Theron arrived to the Oscars showing off a new brunette bob and it left viewers stunned
- Actor Billy Porter made a statement in a tuxedo dress with a voluminous skirt on the Oscars red carpet
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.