- The NBA icon Kobe Bryant, 41, died in a helicopter crash on Sunday in Calabasas, California.
- His second-oldest daughter, Gianna “Gigi” Bryant, was also killed in the crash, according to TMZ and ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.
- She was 13 years old.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant died Sunday in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, at 41 years old.
TMZ has confirmed that his second-oldest daughter, Gianna “Gigi” Bryant, was also killed in the crash. She was 13 years old.
ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski independently confirmed the report.
Sources: Kobe Bryant was on his way to a travel basketball game with his daughter Gianna when the helicopter crashed. Those aboard the helicopter also included another player and parent.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) January 26, 2020
According to TMZ, the two were travelling to the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, for a basketball practice. They were among nine people confirmed dead in the crash, including another player and a parent. Bryant’s wife, Vanessa, was not among them.
Kobe Bryant passed his love of the game on to Gianna. They had been spotted sitting courtside at NBA games in recent months, and Bryant said she aspired to one day play college basketball for the University of Connecticut.
- Read more:
- The sports world is reacting to the sudden and tragic death of Lakers legend Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant says there are WNBA stars who ‘could most certainly keep up’ in the NBA
- Kobe Bryant, 41, dies in helicopter crash in Calabasas, California
- Giannis Antetokounmpo says Zion Williamson has put the NBA on notice: ‘The whole league knows you’re going to be a beast’