- In an October 2018 interview with Jimmy Kimmel, Kobe Bryant said his daughter Gianna would carry on his basketball legacy.
- Bryant and Gianna were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash on Sunday in California.
- He told Kimmel in 2018 that his daughter wanted to be a professional basketball player.
- He said that when fans suggested Bryant needed to have a boy “to have somebody carry on the tradition, the legacy,” Gianna would reply: “I got this.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kobe Bryant once said his daughter Gianna would carry on his basketball legacy.
Bryant and the 13-year-old Gianna were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday.
Appearing on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” in 2018, the retired NBA legend spoke of his daughter’s bright future.
When Kimmel asked whether Gianna wanted to be a professional basketball player like her father, Bryant didn’t hesitate to answer.
“She does for sure,” he told Kimmel.
He added: “The best thing that happens is when we go out, and fans will come up to me. And she’ll be standing next to me, and they will be like, ‘You gotta have a boy, you and V gotta have a boy, man, to have somebody carry on the tradition, the legacy.’
“And she is like, “I got this.'”
Bryant also opened up about his family life. He told Kimmel that he and his daughters had dressed up as characters from the movie “A League of Their Own” the prior Halloween to go trick-or-treating.
“I was the black Tom Hanks,” he joked.
Bryant, who had four daugthers with his wife, Vanessa, the youngest of whom was born in 2019, also discussed the importance of setting young people up for success.
“You try to teach the kids what excellence looks like,” he said.
“Some of them may want to play in the WNBA, some of them may not. But we try to give them a foundation of the amount of work and preparation that it takes to be excellent in whatever it is that you choose to do.”
You can watch the interview here:
- Read more:
- Gianna ‘Gigi’ Bryant, Kobe Bryant’s daughter, also died in the tragic helicopter accident that killed her father
- Photos and videos show makeshift Kobe Bryant memorials where fans are mourning the basketball legend who was killed in a helicopter crash on Sunday
- Alicia Keys gave an emotional speech about Kobe Bryant’s death to start the Grammys
- Kobe Bryant’s retired Lakers jerseys are lit up inside the Staples Centre at the Grammys
- Kobe Bryant, 41, dies in helicopter crash in Calabasas, California
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.