- “Knives Out” star Ana de Armas revealed in a new Vogue interview that she almost didn’t accept her role in the blockbuster film.
- According to the Cuban actress, her character Marta’s description was essentially: “Latina caretaker, pretty.”
- De Armas said she didn’t feel comfortable taking the part, since Latina actors are still frequently stereotyped as “sexy” and “fiery.”
- “Or else it’s ‘sexy with a temper.’ And it’s who we are,” she told Vogue, adding, “There’s nothing wrong with it so long as it’s not only that. That’s what I have a problem with.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Knives Out” star Ana de Armas revealed in a new interview that she almost didn’t accept her role in the thriller because the description for her character, Marta, lacked depth.
Speaking to Vogue, the Cuban actress said that Marta was described as little more than: “Latina caretaker, pretty” – something that didn’t sit well with de Armas, who pointed out that Latina actors are still frequently stereotyped as “sexy” and “fiery.”
“Or else it’s ‘sexy with a temper.’ And it’s who we are,” de Armas said.
“There’s nothing wrong with it so long as it’s not only that. That’s what I have a problem with.”
When the interviewer made a joke about de Armas “screaming at people” in a short skirt, the actress responded with sarcasm.
“Oh, well, yeah, I do that until I get exhausted, and then I put a basket of fruit on my head and say, ‘Go f— yourself,’ and then I take a break and do it again,” she joked, referencing characters like Carmen Miranda who now are viewed as stereotypes of Latina women.
De Armas gained recognition as an actress thanks to her role as Marta, and was even nominated for a Golden Globe.
She’s set to appear as a rookie agent in the upcoming James Bond film, “No Time to Die,” and will play Marilyn Monroe in the fictionalized biopic “Blonde.”
- Read more:
- Director Rian Johnson says he and star Daniel Craig were like ‘little kids’ on the set of ‘Knives Out,’ his star-studded murder mystery
- ‘Knives Out’ is the ‘Clue’ of 2019 that will keep you guessing until the end
- ‘Knives Out’ is a delightful whodunit from ‘The Last Jedi’ director, who proves he can still make a great original story
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.