- Warning: Spoilers ahead for the series finale of HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
- The final season of “Game of Thrones” has faced much criticism, with complaints levied against aspects as varied as the plot and the lighting.
- A petition to redo the whole season has even reached over a million signatures.
- But the show’s actors, some citing the hard work that went into the show, haven’t held back about their feelings toward critics.
- Kit Harington, who played the character Jon Snow for eight years, told Esquire back in April that he felt particularly defiant about his character.
- “Whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their judgment on it, in my head they can go f— themselves,” he said.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
But while viewers have complained about who won the throne in the finale, about drinks receptacles being left on the set, and even about the dim lighting of various scenes, those involved in the show’s production were quick to jump to its defence.
Kit Harington, who has played the character Jon Snow for the past eight years, didn’t hold back in an April interview with Esquire – before the finale aired – when asked about the show’s critics.
“How I feel about the show right now is quite defiant,” he said at the time. “I think no matter what anyone thinks about this season – and I don’t mean to sound mean about critics here – but whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their judgment on it, in my head they can go f— themselves. ‘Cause I know how much work was put into this.”
“I know how much people cared about this,” Harington continued. “I know how much pressure people put on themselves and I know how many sleepless nights working or otherwise people had on this show, because they cared about it so much. Because they cared about the characters. Because they cared about the story. Because they cared about not letting people down.”
Though Harington’s Esquire interview took place before the finale, he’s not the only actor to take issue with the critical response to the now-iconic series.
Sophie Turner, who played Sansa Stark for eight seasons, also recently defended the show to The New York Times.She said she wasn’t surprised at the backlash because fans always “have an idea in their heads of how they want a show to finish” and sometimes “speak up about it and rebel” when it doesn’t go their way.
“All of these petitions and things like that – I think it’s disrespectful to the crew, and the writers, and the filmmakers who have worked tirelessly over 10 years, and for 11 months shooting the last season,” she said. “Like 50-something night shoots. So many people worked so, so hard on it, and for people to just rubbish it because it’s not what they want to see is just disrespectful.”
Hempstead Wright, who played Bran Stark, told The Hollywood Reporter that the petition was “absurd.”
“I can’t even fathom it. It’s just ridiculous,” he said. “It’s ridiculous that people think they can just demand a different ending because they don’t like it. I have stupidly taken it quite personally, which obviously I shouldn’t. In my opinion, it’s a great ending.”
This article was updated to correct where the original interview came from.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.