- The season 17 premiere of E!’s “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” showed Kim Kardashian West struggling with her health.
- Kardashian West’s antibodies tested positive for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, after complaining of exhaustion, joint pain, swollen hands, and nausea.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
On the season 17 premiere of E!’s “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” Kim Kardashian West was shown struggling with her health, ultimately testing positive for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis antibodies.
“Your antibodies are positive for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis,” Dr. Daniel Wallace told her over the phone.
Lupus is an incurable autoimmune disease, while rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disorder. Wallace said “fevers, rashes, and mouth sores” are among the symptoms for those illnesses – in addition to the exhaustion, joint pain, swollen hands, and nausea that Kardashian West had already been experiencing.
Wallace clarified, however, that testing positive for these antibodies may be misleading: “Sometimes you can get false positives in these screenings,” he said, scheduling a follow-up appointment for Friday of that week.
“I’m freaking out,” a tearful Kardashian West told her mother and sisters. “I’ll know on Friday.”
“The doctor did explain that there could be false positives when it comes to blood testing,” Kardashian West said in a solo confessional. “You really do get in your head and think about the worst possible things that can happen. For the next few days it’s going to be really hell, living, wondering – what I have, what’s going on, and how to fix this.”
Earlier on the episode, Kardashian West was shown taking a pregnancy test to “rule it out” as a reason for her tiredness.
The 38-year-old mum of four originally believed she had rheumatoid arthritis after researching her own symptoms.
She also considered the possibility that she was simply suffering from stress and anxiety ahead of the birth of her fourth child,Psalm West, via surrogate in May.
Later, she confided in her friend Jonathan Cheban about her ongoing health concerns.
“I woke up and my hands were stiff. I couldn’t use my hands,” she told him. “I couldn’t pick up a toothbrush. I couldn’t, literally, do my bra. It was really bad.”
Kardashian West, who was still waiting for her test results, added in a solo confessional: “I’ve been trying to ignore the pain but it’s so scary. I have a baby on the way, I have law school – I can’t live without knowing. These few days are just torturous.”
Watch Kardashian West’s tearful scene in the “KUWTK” recap video below.
- Read more:
- 14 facts that will make you think differently about the Kardashian-Jenner family
- Here’s everything you need to know about psoriasis, Kim Kardashian’s common skin condition
- Kim Kardashian West is apprenticing at a San Francisco law office in hopes of taking the bar in 2022
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.