Photo: AP Images
At a time when oil prices are being driven up by geo-political risks in Iran, Europe’s debt crisis is being increasingly impacted by politics in the region, and when the world is looking at over 40 elections in a year, political events have become crucial to the market.Nomura’s senior political analyst Alastair Newton is out with his calendar of important political events in 2012. Here’s what you need to watch in May:
- May 2: French presidential election candidates’ TV debate
- May 3: Troika report on Portugal’s economy and reform
- May 3: Local elections in the UK including Mayor of London
- Mar 4: Second round parliamentary (majlis) elections in Iran
- May 4: Serbian parliamentary elections
- May 6: Second round of the French presidential elections
- May 6: Schleswig-Holstein state elections in Germany
- May 6: Parliamentary elections in Greece
- May 6/7: Local / regional elections in Italy
- May 10: Parliamentary elections in Algeria
- May 13: North Rhine-Westphalia state elections in Germany
- May 15 – 22: NATO summit
- May 19 – 20: The 38th G8 summit at Camp David, U.S.
- May 23: Iran’s second round of P5+1 nuclear talks
- May 23 – 24: First round of Egyptian presidential elections
- May 25: European Council meeting
- May 31: – European Council president Herman Van Rompuy ends term of office though it is renewable for a second 2.5 year term.
- May 31 – Ireland has a referendum on the EU fiscal compact
Other important events in May include an Egyptian referendum on a new constitution and Serbian parliamentary elections.