- Kellyanne Conway told CNN about an alleged assault in which she said she was shaken and grabbed by a woman at a Maryland restaurant last year.
- The alleged incident happened at Uncle Julio’s in Bethesda, Maryland, last October, when Conway was out with her middle school-aged daughter and her daughter’s friends.
- The woman was arrested after police identified her as Mary Inabinett through viewing video footage taken by Conway’s daughter.
- The 63-year-old Maryland woman has been charged with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct.
Kellyanne Conway said she was grabbed and shaken by a woman at a Maryland restaurant late last year, when she was with her middle school-aged daughter and her daughter’s friends.
“I was assaulted in a restaurant,” Conway said in an interview with Dana Bash on CNN. “Somebody was grabbing me from behind, grabbing my arms, and was shaking me.”
She said the alleged assault took place at Uncle Julio’s restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland, in October.
Conway, a White House counselor to President Donald Trump, said the woman was “screaming her head off.”
Conway called 911, and though the woman left before police arrived, she was later identified through video footage Conway’s daughter took of 63-year-old Maryland resident Mary Elizabeth Inabinett, according to charging documents seen by Buzzfeed News.
Inabinett has been charged with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct. Her lawyer told Buzzfeed News that she plans to plead not guilty.
Charging documents reportedly say that the restaurant manager told police that the woman “was yelling ‘shame on you’ and other comments believed to be about Conway’s political views.”
Conway told police that the shaking lasted a few seconds, and the woman yelled and gestured for eight to ten minutes before she was escorted away.
“She oughta pay for that,” Conway told CNN. “Because she has no right to touch anybody.”
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen have also reported being confronted while dining in restaurants.
- Read more about politics:
- Inside Trump’s daily routine, which includes 3 to 4 hours of sleep, ‘executive time,’ and no breakfast
- Beto O’Rourke will lead an anti-wall march through his Texas hometown as Trump holds a rally there
- Jeff Bezos alleges ties between Saudi Arabia and National Enquirer’s publisher, David Pecker, and it could all relate to the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
- Trump’s White House reportedly launches manhunt for the leaker who released his private schedule
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.