- “John Wick” star Keanu Reeves has garnered quite a bit of attention in recent weeks for being a really nice guy.
- Fans of the “Matrix” actor – who was recently described as the internet’s “favourite” boyfriend – are now calling for him to be named Time Magazine’s person of the year.
- Petitions created by fans on sites like Change.org are slowly gaining steam, with Twitter users voicing their support as well.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Keanu Reeves fans have taken their love for the actor to a whole new level this week, now calling for the “John Wick” star to be named Time’s person of the year in 2019.
Earlier this week, Reeves made headlines for his delightful reaction to finding out that he’s the internet’s “favourite boyfriend.” Now, fans want him to be recognised by Time for his innate goodness – and have even created petitions to the magazine begging for Reeves to named person of the year in 2019.
There are several petitions on Change.org urging the publication to recognise Reeves with the honour. One, in English, was created by a user named Jackson Breem and has garnered over 33,000 signatures since it went live a week ago.
“Keanu is the most wholesome person alive,” Breem wrote in the description of his petition, encouraging Time to “make him the person of the year!”
Another petition in Spanish, created by user Richard Salazar, similarly praises Reeves. Translated, the description of the petition says in part that Reeves “has proven to be a person who positively influences everyone” and that his “modesty, simplicity, character, and human quality make him the most ideal person to be named person of the year.”
Salazar’s petition goes on to say that “the world needs more people like [Reeves],” and calls him a “great example… in all senses of the word.” The Spanish petition had over 2500 signatures at the time of this article.
And on Twitter, fans are also expressing their admiration for Reeves, encouraging Time to name him person of the year.
Keanu Reeves deserves @TIME ‘s person of the year
— Shmax Kelly (@larryrelapsed) June 12, 2019
— Kendra Mattozzi (@kmattozzi) June 10, 2019
Even if he’s not Time’s “Person of the Year”, let’s just be honest: Keanu Reeves is Person of the Year
— Reid Frucci (@RFtheKHKing) June 14, 2019
According to Time’s website, the person of the year designation is the result of editors who have “selected[ed] the individual or group with the most profound impact on our world over the past year for better or for worse.”
The chosen individual, group, or entity is usually announced by the magazine in December of each year. Past issues have named people like Barack Obama, Pope Francis, Jamal Khashoggi, and Angela Merkel as people of the year.
Hollywood celebrities are not typically named person of the year by themselves, although significant achievements by a celebrity are occasionally highlighted – such as when actress Ashley Judd was named person of the year in 2017, along with other #MeToo activists.
A representative for Time declined to comment on the requests to name Reeves its person of the year.
This post has been updated to include the name of the user who created the English petition, and the current number of signatures each petition has.
- Read more:
- A story about Keanu Reeves buying an ice cream just so he could autograph the receipt for a young fan has gone viral. And now others are sharing their own touching experiences with the actor.
- A video of Keanu Reeves giving up his seat to another passenger on the crowded NYC subway 5 years ago confirms his goodness
- Every single Keanu Reeves movie, ranked