The INSIDER Summary:
• Instagram’s top fitness trainer Kayla Itsines revealed her go-to full body workout — a burpee with a push-up — in a recent interview.
• A burpee with a push-up is a great way to exercise the entire body if you’re short on time.
• The sequence puts the abs, arms, legs, and core muscles to work.
If you have a busy schedule, it can be hard to fit in a full workout several times a week. But research has shown that short workouts can be just as beneficial as long ones.
Kayla Itsines — the Instagram-famous fitness trainer who has gained over six million followers with her Bikini Body Guides and wildly popular app — champions this idea, and encourages her “army” of fans to combine short, high-intensity interval training with longer, low-intensity cardio for impressive results.
But if you’re really strapped for time, there is one exercise you can do to work the entire body at home. In a recent interview with the British beauty site Get the Gloss, Kayla said that if she “had to pick one” full body workout, it would be “a burpee with a push up.“
The exercise puts “the arms, abs, back and legs” to work, Kayla explained, and helps “keep the core strong” — a bonus if you don’t have the time or patience for crunches.
A burpee looks like this:
To ensure you have the right form, the instructions on her app Sweat With Kayla suggest “keeping your body weight on your hands” as you kick your legs back, and “resting your weight onto the balls of your feet.” Your feet should also be “slightly further than shoulder width apart” in each crouching position.
Kayla makes burpees look simple in YouTube videos but they’re a strenuous workout — and that’s before you add the push-up, which you can incorporate between the second and third steps of the sequence above.
Here’s the correct way to do a push-up:
On her app, Kayla recommends “maintaining a straight back and stabilizing through your abdominals” as you go low, and “push[ing] through your chest” on the way up to ensure good form.
“It really is a full body exercise,” she told Get the Gloss.
Once you’ve mastered the burpee/push-up sequence, there are endless variations to try that will have you burpee-ing like a pro in no time.
More from INSIDER:
- Bow Wow says he doesn’t care that you caught him pretending to fly a private jet
- Miley Cyrus released her first new song in 2 years and it shows just how much she’s changed
- These are all the beauty products Kate Middleton is rumoured to use
- 14 celebrities who posted Photoshopped pictures of themselves on Instagram
- The most popular brunch item in every state
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.