- Every year, LeBron James hosts an ESPYs after-party that is known to be hard to get into.
- The ESPN host Katie Nolan was not on the list this year, but she says she sneaked into the party by pretending to be the US Women’s National Team World Cup champion Rose Lavelle.
- Nolan shared the story from that night on her “Sports?” podcast.
- She also got to meet James, who she said got her and ESPN’s Cassidy Hubbarth and Dianna Russini drinks.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Every year after the ESPYs, LeBron James hosts an “Uninterrupted” after-party that the ESPN host Katie Nolan says is “famously impossible to get into.”
During this past week’s episode of her podcast “Sports?” Nolan shared her experience of successfully crashing this year’s edition.
Nolan told listeners that she wasn’t on the list to get in but that her fellow ESPN reporters and close friends Dianna Russini and Cassidy Hubbarth were invited. She said, however, that even being on the list didn’t guarantee access.
Nonetheless, Nolan said she tagged along with Russini and Hubbarth after the main ESPYs party to try her luck.
While the three were waiting in line to give their names, the breakout US soccer star Rose Lavelle was leaving, which worked in Nolan’s favour.
“The woman has her little iPad with the list on it,” Nolan said of the doorwoman. “Again, to reiterate: Cassidy and Dianna, on that list. Me, no, not at all. Never even sniffed it.”
Russini and Hubbarth were cleared to enter. Nolan was next and was unsure what to say.
“Dianna goes, ‘It’s L-A-V … Rose, how do you spell your last name?'” Nolan said. She finished spelling Lavelle and, to her shock, was cleared to enter.
“It was brilliant,” Nolan said. “It was absolutely brilliant.”
Nolan also shared during the episode that she had met Lavelle earlier that night and said the two bonded over the US Women’s National Team star’s tweets, particularly one about dogs and chocolate.
Life is great but It does suck that there’s no way for dogs to understand that the reason we’re not sharing our chocolate with them is actually out of love and not hate
— Rose Lavelle (@roselavelle) May 22, 2019
Nolan even got introduced to James at the party by Hubbarth. He hugged her hello and invited them into the VIP section. Once Russini joined them and ordered a vodka cranberry from James, Nolan said, he personally got drinks for all three.
“LeBron is super nice,” Nolan said. “My personal experience with LeBron James is that he’s a super nice guy.”
- Read more:
- ‘We have to love more. Hate less’: Megan Rapinoe delivered a powerful speech at the USWNT parade
- The 36 most iconic female athletes of the past century
- Rose Lavelle’s elementary school shared an inspiring photo of the USWNT star when she was a young girl dressed up as Mia Hamm
- Video appears to show US soccer star Rose Lavelle showing off impressive juggling skills when she was 11
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.