- Kate Spade‘s father, Frank Brosnahan, said he spoke with his daughter on the phone the night before she was found dead in an apparent suicide.
- “The last I talked with her … she was happy planning a trip to California to look at colleges,” Brosnahan told the Kansas City Star.
- Kate Spade’s husband and business partner, Andy Spade, said in a statement on Wednesday that his wife had “suffered from depression and anxiety for many years.”
Kate Spade’s father says he spoke with his late daughter the night before she was found dead in her New York City apartment in what authorities believe was a suicide.
Frank Brosnahan told the Kansas City Star that he and Spade spoke on the phone on Monday evening about a trip she’d been planning to visit colleges in California.
“Well, I don’t know what happened,” he told the Star. “The last I talked with her, the night before last, she was happy planning a trip to California to look at colleges. She doted on her daughter.”
On Tuesday morning a housekeeper found Spade unconscious in her home at 850 Park Ave.
Spade’s husband and business partner, Andy Spade, said in a statement on Wednesday that his wife had “suffered from depression and anxiety for many years.”
“She was actively seeking help and working closely with her doctors to treat her disease, one that takes far too many lives,” Spade said in a statement to The New York Times. “We were in touch with her the night before and she sounded happy. There was no indication and no warning that she would do this. It was a complete shock.”
Brosnahan told the Star that Spade would be “delighted” if she knew her death inspired a national discussion that might help people struggling with mental illness.
* If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14. For further information about depression contact beyondblue on 1300224636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.
Remembering Kate Spade:
- ‘You don’t know me but I know you’: After Kate Spade’s death, people are sharing how the designer touched their lives through fashion
- Kate Spade has died at 55. Here’s the story behind the rise of her handbag empire.
- Kate Spade shared how she wanted to be remembered in a 2002 interview
- Kate Spade leaves behind her husband and business partner. Here’s what we know about their relationship.
- Celebrities and fashion industry figures are reacting to Kate Spade’s death
- Kate Spade’s fashion brand’s final major ad campaign before her death was called ‘Where Is Kate?’ and featured a detective played by her husband searching for the fleeing designer
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.