- Kate Spade’s husband, Andy Spade, spoke out against reports about a note the late designer wrote before her death.
- “I have yet to see any note left behind and am appalled that a private message to my daughter has been so heartlessly shared with the media,” Spade said in a statement to The New York Times.
- The New York Post and TMZ reported that Kate Spade left a note addressed to her daughter, telling her not to blame herself for her mother’s death.
The designer, 55, was found dead in her New York City apartment on Tuesday. Later in the day, The New York Post and TMZ published articles, citing law-enforcement sources, reporting that Kate Spade had left a note addressed to the couple’s 13-year-old daughter, Frances Beatrix Spade.
TMZ reported that the note said: “Bea – I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!”
In a statement to The New York Times on Wednesday, Andy Spade, the late designer’s husband and business partner, seemed to lay blame on law-enforcement sources for sharing the note’s contents.
“I have yet to see any note left behind and am appalled that a private message to my daughter has been so heartlessly shared with the media,” Spade said.
“My main concern is Bea and protecting her privacy as she deals with the unimaginable grief of losing her mother,” the statement continued. “Kate loved Bea so very much.”
Spade also revealed in the statement that his wife suffered from depression and anxiety, as well as the fact that the pair had been living separately for the last 10 months. The couple had been married for 24 years.
If you or someone you know is having personal problems, contact BeyondBlue or Lifeline on 13 11 14.
Remembering Kate Spade:
- Kate Spade’s husband says that the couple had been living separately for 10 months and that she had been seeking treatment for depression and anxiety for 5 years
- ‘You don’t know me but I know you’: After Kate Spade’s death, people are sharing how the designer touched their lives through fashion
- Kate Spade has died in an apparent suicide at 55. Here’s the story behind the rise of her handbag empire.
- Kate Spade shared how she wanted to be remembered in a 2002 interview
- Kate Spade leaves behind her husband and business partner. Here’s what we know about their relationship.
- Kate Spade’s fans are reacting to her apparent suicide with reminders about mental health
- Celebrities and fashion industry figures are reacting to Kate Spade’s apparent suicide
- Kate Spade’s fashion brand’s final major ad campaign before her death was called ‘Where Is Kate?’ and featured a detective played by her husband searching for the fleeing designer