- Kate Spade’s fashion brand, Frances Valentine, has broken its silence following the designer’s death.
- “We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and founder, Kate Valentine Spade, who will remain in our hearts forever,” Frances Valentine tweeted on Wednesday.
- Spade and her husband, Andy Spade, founded Frances Valentine in 2015.
Kate Spade’s fashion brand, Frances Valentine, has broken its silence following the designer’s death.
On Wednesday, the brand tweeted: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and founder, Kate Valentine Spade, who will remain in our hearts forever.”
We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and founder, Kate Valentine Spade, who will remain in our hearts forever. pic.twitter.com/gWE7mnT2XH
— Frances Valentine (@FValentineNY) June 6, 2018
Spade was found dead in a reported suicide on Tuesday.
Frances Valentine, a handbag-and-shoe company founded by Spade and her husband, Andy Spade, in 2015, stayed silent in the immediate aftermath of the designer’s death. While the Kate Spade website featured a stark banner, mourning the death of Spade, Frances Valentine’s website remains unchanged.
However, the news of Spade’s death has impacted Frances Valentine’s sales. As of Wednesday morning, dozens of items were listed as completely sold out on the retailer’s website.
All 25 of the Frances Valentine bags listed among the brand’s new arrivals were sold out. Of the more than 60 accessories, purses, and shoes listed in new arrivals, all but a handful were sold out or only available for preorder.
Spade launched her namesake brand in 1993, a year before she married her husband. They sold the business to Neiman Marcus in 2006, launching Frances Valentine nine years later. Kate also changed her name to Kate Valentine.
The final ad campaign for Frances Valentine to run before Spade’s death carries an extremely eerie message when watched now.
In February, the brand launched an ad campaign called “Where Is Kate?” In the ad – which was written by and stars Spade’s husband and business partner, Andy Spade – a detective tracks the designer (who is played by an actress) as she attempts to flee.
Remembering Kate Spade:
- ‘You don’t know me but I know you’: After Kate Spade’s death, people are sharing how the designer touched their lives through fashion
- Kate Spade has died in an apparent suicide at 55. Here’s the story behind the rise of her handbag empire.
- Kate Spade shared how she wanted to be remembered in a 2002 interview
- Kate Spade leaves behind her husband and business partner. Here’s what we know about their relationship.
- Kate Spade’s fans are reacting to her apparent suicide with reminders about mental health
- Celebrities and fashion industry figures are reacting to Kate Spade’s apparent suicide
- Kate Spade’s fashion brand’s final major ad campaign before her death was called ‘Where Is Kate?’ and featured a detective played by her husband searching for the fleeing designer
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.