- On Wednesday, Queen Elizabeth II hosted her annual Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace.
- Most of the royal family was in attendance, including Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle, Prince William, and Prince Harry.
- The two duchesses gave a glimpse of their respective festive styles.
- Because the royal family was not seen outside of their cars, it’s difficult to tell exactly what colours and outfits the duchesses were wearing.
- Middleton appeared to be wearing a bright pink shirt with a bow at the neckline, while Markle was pictured wearing what looked like a navy blue lace ensemble with a high neck.
Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle appear to borrow each other’s style on occasion.
For example, Middleton recently wore trousers that looked like something the Duchess of Sussex would wear, while Markle has, at times, seemingly found inspiration in her sister-in-law’s travel attire.
But despite their occasional similarities in fashion, as glimpses of their outfits for the Queen’s annual Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace suggest, the duchesses still seem to have their own sense of style.
On Wednesday, Middleton was photographed arriving at Buckingham Palace wearing a bright pink look, while Markle was pictured wearing a darker lace ensemble.
The Duchess of Cambridge chose what appears to be a pussy-bow top
Middleton has worn nearly every colour of the rainbow throughout the years of her royal outings. The pink top she wore to the Queen’s lunch might be one of her brightest looks yet.
Markle opted for a darker lacy look with a high neck
Because the royal family was not seen outside of their cars, it’s difficult to tell exactly what the duchesses were wearing.
However, it’s clear that Markle stayed true to her old Hollywood style, wearing what appeared to be a navy blue ensemble.
Unlike Middleton’s flowing look, Markle’s lace top has a sheer, frilled collar.
It looks somewhat similar in style to the outfit Markle wore to the 2017 Christmas lunch: the Self-Portrait Nightshade Midi Dress by Jules B., which sold out almost immediately after she was pictured wearing it.
At last year’s Christmas lunch, Middleton wore a black dress, opting for a very different look from her choice for this year’s event.
Both Markle and Middleton accessorized with statement earrings
Keeping in line with what are considered to be royal-jewellery rules, the two duchesses wore luxurious accessories to the event. Instead of flashy gems, Middleton chose to wear long pearl earrings.
Markle opted for circular diamond studs, which added a touch of sparkle.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
- Read more:
- 27 memorable outfits Meghan Markle has worn as a duchess that show why she’s a global fashion icon
- 10 times the royals broke their own protocol in 2018
- A resurfaced video shows the awkward moment when Prince William was asked about Kate Middleton after the couple briefly broke up in 2007
- Disappointing photos that show what royal life is really like
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.