Photo: Channel One Screenshot
Shaping up to be a terrible morning for Russia today.AFP reports that 15 immigrant workers are thought to be dead after a fire swept through the living quarters of Kachalovsky market in Southern Moscow.
It’s thought that the squalid living conditions of the immigrants contributed to the disaster. The workers “lived in a metal annex that was equipped with a space heater”, an official told Interfax news agency. The workers slept on metal cots stacked on top of each other, with no access to the outside, AFP reports.
Reports suggest the workers were from Tajikistan. It is thought that the fire may have been started due to a faulty heater, the Moscow Times reports.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.