- Justin Bieber has backtracked from his UFC challenge.
- Bieber challenged Tom Cruise to a UFC fight in a bizarre tweet on Sunday.
- The post went viral and attracted the interest of Conor McGregor, who said he’d fight Mark Wahlberg on the same night, but it failed to win over UFC fighters who said Cruise would beat Bieber.
- Now Bieber has admitted it was just a “random tweet,” adding: “Tom would whoop my arse.”
- He probably realised he was cruising for a bruising.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Justin Bieber has backtracked rapidly from his UFC challenge after realising he was probably cruising for a bruising.
The Grammy-award-winning singer Bieber tweeted Sunday that he wanted to fight Tom Cruise in a UFC Octagon, telling the Hollywood hard man he’d “never live it down” if he refused. Bieber even tagged UFC President Dana White in the post, asking if he was willing to organise the event.
The June 10 tweet attracted 39,000 comments, 44,000 retweets, and 217,000 likes.
It even piqued the interest of the former two-weight UFC champion Conor McGregor, who amped up his crusade against the minority UFC shareholder Mark Wahlberg, another tough-guy actor and one the Irishman has frequently expressed a desire to beat up in exchange for his equity stake in the business.
I challenge Mark Walhberg on the very same card.
Back when mark wahlberg was marky mark, I’d’ve still slapped the ears off him and took my ufc shares back.#Shares #Streams #Dazn #Espn
McGregor Sports and Entertainment
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) June 10, 2019
But Bieber has now backtracked, saying he was “just playing.”
Bieber was asked on Wednesday by TMZ whether the fight was real. He said “nah,” adding: “It was just a random tweet. I’d have to get in shape. I think he’d be out of my weight class. He’s got that dad strength.”
Bieber, who once trained with Floyd Mayweather and even walked the unbeaten American to the ring for a fight, failed to win the backing of UFC athletes, as the hall-of-fame featherweight Urijah Faber said that even though he’s a Belieber, he’d give the edge to Cruise.
Read more: The 6 highest-paid fighters in 2019
Even Bieber gives the edge to Cruise.
“I’m pretty sure Tom would whoop my arse in a fight,” he said.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.