- The celebrity chef Jose Andres on Sunday accused Ivanka Trump of blocking him from going to an after-party in Washington, DC, the night before.
- Trump has denied she prevented him from entering the event.
A bizarre feud erupted over the weekend after the celebrity chef Jose Andres said Ivanka Trump prevented him from entering a party at a restaurant in Washington, DC.
Andres on Sunday tweeted a photo of himself outside Cafe Milano, a DC establishment that hosted the Saturday after-party for the annual Alfalfa Club dinner, which The New York Times described as “a gathering of political types known for speeches with self-deprecating humour.”
Andres said Trump, President Donald Trump’s daughter and assistant, denied him entry to the party, asking the restaurant’s owner, Franco Nuschese, to keep him out.
Thank you @CafeMilanoDC Franco Nuschese! I was a guest of the #alfalfaclubdinner2018 “everyone”welcome to the after party, but I’m the only individual not allow in? Is because @IvankaTrump told you so? You should be ashamed of yourself Franco.@washingtonpost pic.twitter.com/iJ5wQM18Z6
— José Andrés (@chefjoseandres) January 28, 2018
Several prominent allies quickly jumped to Andres’ aid. The TV personality Anthony Bourdain said the denial was “loathsome” and a “grotesque betrayal,” while Jorge Guajardo, a former Mexican ambassador to China, tweeted that Andres was asked to leave “apparently because his presence made Ivanka Trump uncomfortable.”
Andres’ history with the Trump family extends beyond this feud. He was supposed to open a restaurant in the president’s DC hotel, which opened in late 2016, but pulled out of the lease after Trump made disparaging comments about Mexican immigrants along the campaign trail. The two settled a lawsuit last year.
After a text-message conversation with Ivanka Trump later Sunday,Andres tweeted that he believed she didn’t “personally” have anything to do with the incident. She said in a statement that she “had nothing to do with anything that transpired relating to him last night at the restaurant,” adding that she was “thankful” for the celebrity chef’s “clarification.”
But by Sunday evening, Andres had returned to his original position.
“Let’s not confuse my trying to Be generous and move on, with anything else,” he tweeted. “What happened happened and I stand by my account. I’m ready to move on.”
He told The Times that guests told him they saw Trump and Nuschese talking at the after-party.
“I was told I was not on the list. I was told I was not welcome,” he said. “I was told I was making people uncomfortable.”
He added: “It didn’t make any sense that I was the only one not allowed in.”
Andres told the publication that his earlier tweet about Trump’s involvement was just his effort to “take the high road.”
“I’m not a perfect boy, but I am a good boy,” he said.
Nuschese told The Times that he did not speak to Trump at the party, however, adding that Andres was not on the guest list for the event.
“I’m sorry he was upset,” Nuschese said. “It was a big misunderstanding. We both paid a big price.”
But Andres insisted that there was no guest list for the after-party.
“Nobody was checking anybody,” he said.
On Monday, Andres tweeted that “someone with connections” to Ivanka Trump “made the call to not let me in.”
“Could be she didn’t know, but it did happen,” he added. “And this is not the Washington we know.”
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.