- Jordan Spieth hit a brilliant second shot at the par 5 No. 13 at the Masters on Sunday, setting himself up for an eagle putt as he chased down Patrick Reed for the lead.
- The shot came after caddie Michael Greller convinced Spieth to switch from an iron to a hybrid, a more aggressive move that would pay off for the young golfer looking to take home his second green jacket.
- It’s not the first time Greller’s advice has helped Spieth at a crucial moment in a major.
Michael Greller, caddie to Jordan Spieth, proved once again why he is such a vital part of the young player’s game at Augusta National on Sunday.
Chasing Patrick Reed on the leaderboard at the Masters, Spieth found himself in the pine needles after his drive on the par 5 No. 13.
“Four iron right?” Spieth initially asked while also mulling the possibility of hitting the hybrid.
“I like the hybrid better than that,” Greller responded, as the duo mulled over the decision.
Eventually, Spieth went with Greller’s advice, putting the iron back in his bag in favour of his hybrid. The aggressive move immediately drew a reaction from the crowd, and with good reason – Spieth would land his shot unbelievably close to the pin to set himself up for an eagle putt.
You can listen in on Spieth and Greller’s conversation, and watch the impressive shot below.
It’s not the first time Greller – who has made an estimated $US5 million since quitting his job as a maths teacher in 2012 to carry his bag full time – has helped his player at a crucial moment in a tournament.
At the Open Championship in 2017 when Spieth’s drive went way off course, and he was forced to take relief in the driving range, Greller gave what legendary caddie Jim “Bones” Mackay would call arguably, “The most critical yardage ever given to a player in the history of golf.” Greller estimated two distances for Spieth and helped him aim his shot, which Spieth hit amazingly to save a bogey on the hole and win the tournament. Bones claimed it was “One of the most amazing things a caddie has ever done.”
More Masters coverage:
- 34 things that make the Masters one of the quirkiest events in sports
- The Masters has insanely strict rules – here are the things they can throw you out for doing
- How to qualify for the Masters, the world’s most prestigious golf tournament
- How to get tickets to the Masters, one of the most exclusive sporting events in the world
- How to watch the Masters tournament online for free
- Food and beer at the Masters is the biggest bargain in sports
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.