The report is the result of a lengthy investigation conducted by independent investigator Ted Wells.
It details a “pattern of harassment” by Richie Incognito and other players against second-year offensive tackle Jonathan Martin, who left the team in the middle of the 2013 season.
It paints a picture of a man who was pushed to his breaking point by persistent emotional abuse from his co-workers. On May 6 of last year, Martin sent a “pros and cons of quitting football” list to a friend.
His list of reasons to quit football is heartbreaking. From the report:
- I hate going in everyday.
- I am unable to socialize with my teammates in their crude manner.
- I already have a lot of money. I could travel the world, get my degree. Then get a real job.
- I could lose 70 lbs and feel good about my body.
- I won’t die from CTE.
- Maybe I’ll start to LIKE myself.
- I don’t need to live lavishly. I could live very frugally.
- Why do I care about these people? All I need is my family.
Here’s the entire report.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.