- John Sato, 95, joined the anti-racism march in Auckland, New Zealand, on Sunday after travelling by bus from his town of Howick.
- He was supported through the march by a police constable and actor Bruce Hopkins, best known for his roles in the “Lord of the Rings” films.
- Sato said his journey was motivated by the desire to stand with his country after the Christchurch mosques shootings that killed 50 people.
A 95-year-old World War II veteran took four buses from his hometown to the city center of Auckland, New Zealand, to take part in an anti-racism march following the Christchurch mosques shootings that killed 50 people.
John Sato, who doesn’t drive, took the 12-mile journey from Howick to Aukland’s Aotea Square via bus to join the march on Sunday.
He told Radio New Zealand that he took a 10 a.m. bus to a memorial in Pakuranga, New Zealand, on Sunday, before deciding to head to Aotea Square for the anti-racism march, a journey that required two further bus transfers, or four buses in total.
When he arrived Aotea Square, a police constable and actor Bruce Hopkins took him by the hands to help him through the march.
Sato, who said he was one of two Japanese men in the New Zealand Army during WWII, said his journey was motivated by the desire to stand with his country in such a tragic time.
“I think it is such a tragedy, and yet…it has brought people together. It doesn’t matter what their race or anything. People, they suddenly realise we’re all one. We care for each other,” he told Radio New Zealand.
Thousands of people gathered in Central Auckland for the march organised by the group Love Aotearoa, Hate Racism on Sunday.
As part of the event, the names of all 50 victims were read out and there was a two-minute silence.
Sato, whose wife died 15 years ago and daughter died last year, told the New Zealand Herald that he is a member of a humanitarian organisation that stands for compassion among all people.
After the march, police officers took Sato home so he wouldn’t have to make the journey back by bus.
“Policeman took me all the way home, waited down there until he saw me getting up the stairs. The tragedy in Christchurch, look at what it brought out in people. It shows the best of humanity,” he told Radio New Zealand.
- Read more:
- New Zealand made it illegal for anyone to download or share the Christchurch shooter’s manifesto
- Women across New Zealand wore headscarves in a display of solidarity after the mosque shootings
- Inspiring photos show New Zealanders coming together for a national moment of silence one week after the Christchurch mass shooting
- Here’s what we know about the victims of the mosque mass shootings in New Zealand that killed at least 50 people
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.