- President Donald Trump did nothing to halt racist chants at his Wednesday rally in North Carolina.
- Now people on Twitter are talking about the late Republican Sen. John McCain’s defence of then-Sen. Barack Obama from a racist voter at a 2008 town hall. A video of the exchange is going viral.
- In the video, a woman calls Obama “an Arab” and McCain was quick to respond, taking the microphone from her and saying, “No, ma’am. He’s a decent family man.”
- During the 2008 election, McCain and Obama clashed on healthcare reform, the financial crisis, and foreign policy, but both candidates also showed mutual respect for each other.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This video was originally published on July 20, 2017 when Sen. John McCain was first diagnosed with cancer. He passed away on August 25, 2018.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.