- Michigan Rep. John Conyers announced that he is retiring on Tuesday amid several sexual-harassment claims against him.
- Conyers is the longest-serving member in Congress.
- He continues to deny the accusations, and has called for his son, John Conyers III, to take over for him.
Democratic Rep. John Conyers announced on Tuesday that he is retiring from Congress and endorsed his son, John Conyers III, to replace him.
Conyers, who was first elected to Congress in 1964, represented Michigan’s 1st district. He made the announcement about his retirement on “The Mildred Gaddis Show.”
“I am retiring today, and I want everyone to know how much I appreciate the incredible, undiminished support I’ve received over the years, not only in my district but across the country as well,” he said.
Conyers has vehemently denied allegations that he settled a 2015 sexual-harassment complaint with a former staffer who claimed she was fired after refusing his sexual advances. On Tuesday he again dismissed such reports as politics and rejected the idea that they would alter his legacy.
“They’re not true, and they’re something I can’t explain where they came from,” Conyers said.
“My legacy can’t be compromised or diminished in any way by what we’re going through now. This too shall pass. I want you to know that my legacy will continue through my children,” the longtime congressman added.
Conyers said he wants his son to take over for him.
The sexual-harassment controversy began last month when BuzzFeed News reported that Conyers had settled a complaint with a female staffer for more than $US27,000. More women came forward in the following days making similar allegations.
Conyers later stepped down as the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee amid calls from both sides of the political aisle.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.