Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has announced a shakeup of the airline’s executives that will see Jetstar CEO Jayne Hrdlicka leave the role after five years to become CEO of Qantas Loyalty and Digital Ventures.
She will be replaced by Gareth Evans, who is currently CEO of Qantas International.
The internal reshuffle appears to be inspired by the retirement of people and culture group exec Jon Scriven, who has worked alongside Joyce for eight-and-a-half years as the CEO oversaw the company’s turbulent turnaround strategy, which last week saw the company declare an underlying profit before tax of $1.4 billion, the second largest in its 97-year history.
Qantas Loyalty CEO Lesley Grant will move into the people and culture role, while Alison Webster, currently executive manager of freight, catering and airports, will become boss of Qantas International.
Olivia Wirth will take on a new role as chief customer officer while still running brand, marketing and corporate affairs.
It’s been three years since the last time the leadership team at Qantas was change, Joyce said the new structure will begin to roll out in November.
“Over the past three years, our senior executive team has led the group through a major turnaround. We’re now entering a phase of ongoing improvement and innovation, and these changes will help drive that,” Joyce said.
“This is also about making the best use of the considerable leadership talent at the top level of our organisation.”
Qantas shares are currently down 6.4% to $5.63 today on the news.
Here’s how the new Qantas group management committee will look in November:
- Andrew David – CEO Qantas Domestic & Freight (currently CEO Qantas Domestic)
- Gareth Evans – CEO Jetstar Group (currently CEO, Qantas International & Freight)
- Andrew Finch – General Counsel & Group Executive, Office of the CEO (currently General Counsel and Company Secretary)
- John Gissing – Group Executive Associated Airlines & Services
- Lesley Grant – Group Executive, People & Culture (currently CEO, Qantas Loyalty)
- Jayne Hrdlicka – CEO Qantas Loyalty & Digital Ventures (currently CEO, Jetstar Group)
- Tino La Spina – CFO, Qantas Group
- Rob Marcolina – Group Executive Strategy, Transformation & IT
- Andrew Parker – Group Executive Government, International and Regulatory Affairs
- Alison Webster – CEO Qantas International (currently Executive Manager, Freight, Catering & Airports)
- Olivia Wirth – Chief Customer Officer (currently Group Executive, Brand, Marketing & Corporate Affairs)