- Blue Apron is partnering with Walmart’sJet.com to offer meal kits to shoppers for same-day or next-day delivery.
- The deliveries don’t require a subscription to Blue Apron.
- The deal comes following Blue Apron’s reports of massive declines in customer subscriptions.
- Blue Apron says the recipes are specifically designed for busy consumers and take 30 minutes or less to prepare.
Blue Apron is now offering its meal kits on Jet.com for same-day or next-day delivery.
The deal with Jet marks a departure from Blue Apron’s subscription model, which requires shoppers to sign up for weekly deliveries.
Blue Apron’s shares soared 16% in pre-market trading on Monday following news of the deal.
The meal-kit company’s stock has been hammered this year, losing more than 70% of its value as it has reported massive declines in customer subscriptions.
Studies have shown that customers don’t like being locked into a subscription, even though Blue Apron’s model allows customers to cancel or skip deliveries. And more than 150 other meal-kit companies are now competing with Blue Apron.
Through the deal with Jet, customers in the New York City area – including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, Jersey City, and Hoboken – can order Blue Apron through same-day or next-day delivery via Jet’s new City Grocery service.
Blue Apron will offer a rotating selection of two-serving recipes. The company says the recipes are specifically designed for busy consumers and take 30 minutes or less to prepare.
Here’s the first line-up of kits available through Jet:
- Seared Steaks & Peperonata with Fregola Sarda Pasta & Grana Padano Cheese (2 servings, 28 oz.) – $US22.99
- Dukkah-Spiced Beef & Couscous with Tahini-Dressed Broccoli (2 servings, 41 oz.) – $US20.99
- Togarashi Popcorn Chicken with Sweet Chilli Slaw & Jasmine Rice (2 servings, 32 oz.) – $US18.99
- Italian Farro Bowl with Roasted Vegetables & Mozzarella (2 servings, 32 oz.) – $US16.99
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.