We’re up to 12 jurors and one alternate in the Jerry Sandusky trial.By Sana Ganim of the Patriot News’ count, 8 of the 13 people selected have close, obvious connections to Penn State.
- Juror 2 is a college student whose father worked at Penn State for 30 years
- Juror 3 had Penn State season tickets and worked with the father of key witness Mike McQueary
- Juror 7 is a senior at Penn State
- Juror 8 worked as a professor at Penn State for 37 years
- Juror 10 is a Penn State administrative assistant
- Juror 11 teaches dance at Penn State
- Juror 12 is a professor at Penn State who worked with former PSU president Graham Spanier for years
- Juror 13, the first alternate, graduated from Penn State in 2007
Obviously simply having a connection to Penn State doesn’t negate someone’s ability to objectively assess judgement.
But the fact that PSU-linked jurors outnumber unaffiliated jurors shows you just how big a force the school is in central Pennsylvania. This trial may be of great interest nationally, but it’s taking place in a relatively tiny community where nearly everyone has some connection to the Sandusky, the alleged victims, or (most likely) the school at which Sandusky was once an important figure — which probably isn’t ideal.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.