- A mega-yacht rumored to cost $400 million spotted off the coast of Turkey in photos circulating on Twitter was rumored to belong to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, but a representative of the company told INSIDER it isn’t his.
- The “Flying Fox” yacht was reported to anchor off Datça, a popular tourist destination in Turkey, in early July, but it was unclear whether Bezos was aboard.
- Rumors that the yacht belongs to Bezos have circulated since 2017, when the Lürssen yacht-building company began construction on what was then referred to as “Project Redwood,” one of the world’s largest yachts.
- A photo of the Flying Fox gained traction on social media after journalist Yashar Ali tweeted that it was Bezos’ new yacht, but Ali later deleted the tweet.
- Amazon told INSIDER the company isn’t aware of who owns the yacht.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A representative of Amazon told INSIDER Saturday night that, despite reports that a mega-yacht spotted off the coast of Turkey in early July cost $400 million and was owned by Jeff Bezos, the Amazon CEO does not own the yacht, and the company doesn’t know who it belongs to.
Photos of the mega-yacht in question began circulating on Twitter Saturday, with rumors and media reporting that the vessel belonged Bezos, although it was unclear whether he was onboard at the time it was spotted in Turkey.
Turkish media first reported that the yacht was anchored off the coast of Datça, a popular tourist destination in Turkey, on July 9. Original tweets claiming that the yacht belongs to Bezos have since been deleted, along with the original photo, but screenshots continue to circulate on social media.
Amazon workers collapse from heat exhaustion in warehouses where the heat index exceeds 100° F so that Jeff Bezos can buy a new yacht pic.twitter.com/6nL1OXPDFg
— Sam (@halaljew) August 3, 2019
Yashar Ali, the journalist who tweeted the photo and caption in many of the screenshots circulating on Twitter, but who later deleted his tweet, told INSIDER that the photo was initially posted by jewelry designer Loree Rodkin, who posted the photo on Instagram on Saturday with the caption “When u own amazon… (guess who)….your rental boat is bigger than a hotel….????…welcome to the neighborhood .????????????”
- embed type
Rodkin didn’t immediately return Business Insider’s request for comment.
According to yacht statistics from the website Superyacht Times, the mega-yacht in question is called the “Flying Fox” and was constructed by yacht building company Lürsen Yachts. The Superyacht Times records it is 136.0 meters long and sleeps up to 22 guests, with a 54-person crew.
The Times also records the yacht as having been completed and become operational in 2019, with 36 guest cabins, including 11 VIP cabins, and 4 decks onboard. It is also reported to have a 12-meter swimming pool and is pictured to have a helicopter pad on deck.
Rumors that the yacht belongs to Bezos can be traced back to 2017, when it was still under construction and referred to as “Project Redwood.” Since then, Bezos has been estimated to be the richest person in the world.
This post was updated on August 4, 2019, to include a statement from Amazon.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.