- In an extraordinary blog post on Thursday, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said the National Enquirer and its parent company AMI threatened to publish intimate personal photos of the billionaire tech exec.
- AMI allegedly threatened to publish the photos, unless Bezos stopped his investigation into the original National Enquirer report of his affair – and unless he made a statement disavowing that the original National Enquirer investigation into his alleged affair was politically motivated, says the blog.
- Bezos said that he refuses to give in to “extortion and blackmail,” and believes that it would be a “lie” to say that there was no political motive, noting that the National Enquirer has long been an ally of President Donald Trump, a fierce critic of Bezos and Amazon.
- David Pecker, the publisher of the National Enquirer, has been linked to the Saudi government. Bezos wrote that the “Saudi angle” to his investigation “seems to have hit a particularly sensitive nerve” with Pecker.
- According to emails published by Bezos, lawyers for AMI argued that the intimate photos qualify as newsworthy because they reflect on his judgment as CEO of Amazon – a notion that Bezos rejected, saying that Amazon’s string of successes “speak for themselves.”
- Bezos acknowledged that his ownership of the Washington Post is a “complexifier” for the situation, but says that it will be will be “something I will be most proud of when I’m 90 and reviewing my life.”
- Representatives for Amazon and AMI did not respond to a request for comment.
- Read more on the Jeff Bezos-National Enquirer saga:
- Here are the six craziest things we learned from Jeff Bezos’ blog post accusing the National Enquirer of ‘extortion and blackmail’
- Read all the emails Jeff Bezos says the National Enquirer sent to ‘blackmail’ him
- These are the main players in the explosive saga of Jeff Bezos’ love life and his war with the National Enquirer
- Jeff Bezos essentially accused the National Enquirer of having a political motive for exposing his affair, and insinuated a Trump connection
- Jeff Bezos annihilated the National Enquirer’s bid to blackmail him, using a playbook perfected by pop stars, Kim Kardashian, and ordinary women
- ‘Now the reality is hitting them, and they’re freaking out’: The National Enquirer’s former LA bureau chief says the tabloid is in over its head with Jeff Bezos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.