- A Japanese man flying to Tokyo from Bogotá, Colombia, died mid-way through his flight after ingesting over 240 bags of cocaine.
- AeroMexico crew attended the passenger, who authorities are calling “Udo N,” when he started convulsing.
- The pilot started an emergency landing procedure, but before the Boeing 787 Dreamliner could land at Mexico’s Hermosillo International Airport, he had died.
- According to the Sonora prosecutor’s office, Udo N had 246 one-by-two-and-a-half centimeter cocaine-filled bags in his stomach.
- The autopsy found some of the bags had burst, causing Udo N’s brain to swell, killing him. Bags of that size can fit around two grams of refined powder in.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
A Japanese man flying home from Colombia died in mid-air after ingesting 246 packets of cocaine.
The passenger, who authorities are calling “Udo N,” was flying from Bogotá’s El Dorado Airport, Colombia, to Narita International Airport, Tokyo with AeroMexico on Friday, when he started convulsing and having seizures, the Sonora prosecutors office, Fiscalía General de Justicia del Estado de Sonora, wrote on Facebook.
The 42-year-old died at around 2:00 a.m. ET before flight AM58 could make an emergency landing at Mexico’s Hermosillo International Airport.
During an autopsy, medics found 246 one by two-and-a-half centimeter plastic bags in his intestines. Some of the bags had split open, in turn causing the man’s brain to swell, killing him. The plastic bags contained cocaine, police said.
Sonora prosecutors office tweeted these images the man being taken from the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner and loaded into a medical van.
⭕️ Autopsia revela que fueron 246 envoltorios de narcóticos en el cuerpo del pasajero de origen japonés, lo que le ocasionó la muere en el aeropuerto de #Hermosillo.
— #FGJESonora (@fgjesonora) May 26, 2019
Small plastic bags measuring one by two and a half centimeters can take roughly two grams of refined powder each.
Studies indicate just 0.096 grams of cocaine is enough to trigger a potentially lethal reaction, according to the Desert Hope Treatment Center.
The man’s cause of death is common amongst drugs smugglers, who often fall foul of their cargo if they swallow it to avoid detection.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.