This is practical information for your every day life.JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon received the Executive of the Year award at the Simon School of Business’s Financial Conference on Thursday. So naturally, he sat down for a chat and shared some of his secrets on how to be a successful CEO, and how to avoid making the most common mistakes.
Dimon’s list of suggestions included his special touch of humour, and as such, are quite a riot. His suggestions at the conference included—
- Think twice before trying to accomplish things on a Friday, because honestly… it’s the end of the week and you’re tired.
- Don’t say “yes” to someone because you feel bad about having said “no” to them 7 times before. It’s sloppy, you will regret it later and and have to apologise awkwardly for it.
- Don’t act out of anger and keep a cool head, otherwise it sucks to apologise for your actions after. Dimon recounted an episode when he was a younger and his co-worker got him a pre-filled card that said ‘Hello, my name is Jamie Dimon and I’d like to apologise in advance for my behaviour on the night of ____” with a blank at the end to fill out the date. He learned the hard way!
- Don’t try to do everything yourself. Get people involved when you’re trying to solve a problem, make it proactive and don’t hide things from co-workers. “Most good answers are waiting to be found, get the people in the room and go over it and over it and over it,” Dimon said.
- Don’t be careless about hiring. Get to know the people you work with, and don’t make a “people” mistake. Fixing a problem with a co-worker takes a long time to figure out and becomes an unnecessarily hassle.