- Jake Gyllenhaal spoke to Stephen Colbert about taking on the popular T-shirt handstand challenge after “Spider-Man: Far From Home” costar Tom Holland tagged him on Instagram.
- Gyllenhaal said that he planned on declining, but Ryan Reynolds had already beat him to it by posting a video of his hilarious refusal online.
- “I thought, ‘Well great, now I’m gonna have to try this,'” Gyllenhaal told Colbert.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“I was gonna do the same thing, until the morning of, when [Reynolds] already posted him saying no. And then I thought, ‘Well great, now I’m gonna have to try this,'” Gyllenhaal recalled during a virtual interview with Stephen Colbert.
“I think he beat us all with his response,” the 39-year-old actor added.
In early April, Holland took on the popular challenge, in which a person must attempt to put a shirt on by manoeuvring their body and maintaining a handstand position the entire time.
Good to see Tom Holland's Spider-Man training is (somewhat) paying off ????
— Fandom (@getFANDOM) April 1, 2020
After successfully completing it, the actor selected three people to follow suit: “Spider-Man: Far From Home” costar Gyllenhaal, “Deadpool” star Reynolds, and his best friend, Harrison Osterfield.
Although Holland’s friend took on the challenge, Reynolds refused.
The “Deadpool” star reposted parts of the video on his Instagram story and in response to the tag, Reynolds appeared puzzled and disgusted for several seconds before saying, “No.”
Ryan Reynolds gives a very appropriate response after being tagged in Tom Holland's strenuous IG fitness challenge ????
— Fandom (@getFANDOM) April 2, 2020
Gyllenhaal also accepted the challenge, but not before trolling Holland.
First, he reposted the “Spider-Man” star’s videos on his Instagram story and wrote: “Wait. @tomholland2013 What’s the challenge??? Shirtless heavy breathing??”
After watching the full video of the challenge, Gyllenhaal successfully nailed it.
Speaking to Colbert, Jake said that “it was OK. It felt nice.”
He also said that Jackman and 50 Cent never responded to him. But he marveled at how effortless Maggie made the challenge look when she did it.
Bowing down to Maggie Gyllenhaal. ???????????? Tom and Jake who? pic.twitter.com/wcvho8gxxD
— Olivia Singh (@livsingh95) April 4, 2020
“My sister did better than probably any of the ones who’d done it before,” Jake said. “I’m a younger sibling, so I’m used to doing something and then my older sibling doing it 10 times as well, so that’s what happened with this.”
“She does lots of yoga and handstands and headstands and stuff,” he added. “It was a cinch for her.”
Watch Gyllenhaal’s interview with Colbert in the video below.
- Read more:
- Tom Holland challenged Ryan Reynolds to put a T-shirt on while doing a handstand, and the ‘Deadpool’ actor had a hilarious response
- Watch Maggie Gyllenhaal put on a shirt while doing a handstand after her brother Jake made it look easy
- Watch Tom Holland and Jake Gyllenhaal hilariously fail to stay in character while filming ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.