- On the new episode of Jada Pinkett Smith‘s “Red Table Talk,” the actress talked about her past experiences dating white men and what caused those relationships to end.
- “I have dated some really wonderful white men, but it was interesting in the fact that you’re dating someone who has no idea what oppression is,” the “Girls Trip” star said.
- She added: “He’s at the top of the food chain; he doesn’t understand. It’s a very hard thing for him to be able to relate to. It was always the factor in the relationship that made it break.”
Jada Pinkett Smith opened up about dating white men and the reason why those relationships didn’t last.
During the latest episode of her Facebook Watch series, “Red Table Talk,” the actress sat down with her mother, Adrienne Banfield-Jones; her daughter, Willow Smith; and “Grey’s Anatomy” star Ellen Pompeo to discuss interracial marriage and relationships.
“I have dated some really wonderful white men, but it was interesting in the fact that you’re dating someone who has no idea what oppression is,” Pinkett Smith said.
The “Girls Trip” star elaborated on the disconnect between her and her exes, saying: “He’s at the top of the food chain; he doesn’t understand. It’s a very hard thing for him to be able to relate to. It was always the factor in the relationship that made it break.”
On a previous “Red Table Talk” episode, Pinkett Smith recalled how Banfield-Jones reacted after finding out that she was dating a white man named John, who the actress called “a very nice guy.”
“It’s really difficult for me, because we have white people in our family,” Banfield-Jones said, referencing her nephew Jason, who married a white woman. “I repeated what [my] mummy told me, was that you have to learn to get along with white people, but don’t ever bring them home.”
Banfield-Jones added: “I didn’t even give myself an opportunity to like John. Just like I said, we have people in our family [who are white] and I’ve given those people a hard time … [Lexi, Jason’s wife] will tell you we gave her a hard time because we didn’t welcome her with open arms, and she really had to prove herself. I feel bad about that.”
Watch the video below (Pinkett Smith talks about her past relationships at 21:00).
- Read more about Jada Pinkett Smith:
- Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith haven’t sworn or yelled at each other in 20 years – here’s how they did it
- Jada Pinkett Smith says we need to talk more about how ‘boys are taken advantage of’ too
- Jada Pinkett Smith explains why she was mistakenly labelled a Scientologist
- Jada Pinkett Smith shows off the surprisingly simple way she exercises when she’s not at the gym
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.