- A video has gone viral showing a woman who is deaf being yelled at and apparently mocked by a Jack in the Box employee at a drive-thru.
- ReVae Arnaud-Jensen can be heard trying to explain to the worker that she could not order through the speaker because she is deaf, but the employee continues shouting at her regardless.
- Jack in the Box told Insider in a statement that the employee has been terminated, and that the company does “not tolerate the mistreatment of any customers.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A California woman says she was recently shouted at, denied service, and mocked for her hearing impairment at a Jack in the Box drive-thru.
A video of the interaction has gone viral on Facebook. It shows ReVae Arnaud-Jensen trying to explain to the worker in the drive-thru window that she could not order through the speaker because she is deaf.
It’s unclear if the employee understands why Arnaud-Jensen drove directly to the window, but he can be seen yelling at her to leave the restaurant regardless. When Arnaud-Jensen tries to explain that she’s deaf and that the employee is discriminating against her, the employee shouts, “I don’t care!”
At one point, the employee even makes hand gestures, appearing to mock Arnaud-Jensen’s sign-language attempts.
Jack in the Box says the employee has been terminated
In a Facebook post about the incident, Arnaud-Jensen said she refused to leave the restaurant until she had been served – ultimately waiting two hours.
“Towards the end of the video, once he realised he was being recorded he changed faces and mockingly gestured at the video,” she wrote. “I refused to leave the window until I received an order. Sat there for two hours.”
Arnaud-Jensen’s son, Malachi Jensen, filmed the incident and later told NBC News that he was horrified by the employee’s behaviour towards his mother.
“It was my first time seeing an employee acting like that, and honestly I was very shocked. I felt pretty mad too because deaf people very often get treated differently,” he said.
A Jack in the Box spokesperson told Insider that the employee shown in the video was been terminated “after a thorough investigation of the incident and direct contact with the local franchise owner.”
“We do not tolerate the mistreatment of any customers and expect employees to follow all training procedures, be respectful, courteous, and accommodating to all guests,” the spokesperson said in a statement.
- Read more:
- 3 Virginia couples were denied marriage licenses because they refused to disclose their race. Now they’re suing the state.
- A Florida couple was denied custody of their 4-year-old son with leukemia after they ‘busted’ him out of a hospital and stopped his chemo treatments
- The star of State Farm’s ‘she shed’ commercial says strangers now recognise her on the street and keep asking who burned down Cheryl’s she shed
- A Florida cop rescued a puppy from a flooded vehicle and named her ‘Dorian’ after the deadly hurricane
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.