- Ivanka Trump’s fashion line is shutting down, with employees being alerted of the closure on Tuesday.
- The first daughter said in a statement: “My focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington.”
- The fashion company has faced boycotts since Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, with backlash continuing into his presidency.
Ivanka Trump’s controversial fashion brand is shutting down.
“After 17 months in Washington, I do not know when or if I will ever return to the business, but I do know that my focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington,” Trump said in a statement. “So making this decision now is the only fair outcome for my team and partners.”
Abigail Klem, who took over as the president of the company when Trump stepped down from day-to-day operations following her father’s election, said in a statement that she and others at the company were “incredibly proud of the brand we have built and the content and product we’ve developed.”
“We’ve seen strong sales since the brand’s inception, which continued through this year with the successful launch of our rapidly growing e-commerce business,” Klem said in a statement.
She continued: “I know that this was a very difficult decision for Ivanka and I am very grateful for the opportunity to have led such a talented and committed team. When faced with the most unique circumstances, the team displayed strength and optimism.”
Trump’s brand has faced boycotts since her father’s presidential campaign, with backlash continuing into his presidency.
Earlier this month, the department-store chain Hudson’s Bay became the latest retailer to drop the Ivanka Trump brand from its stores and website. Several companies, including Nordstrom, Jet.com, and Gilt, dropped the fashion line last year.
Online sales of the brand through Amazon, Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, and Zappos fell nearly 45% in the past year to June compared with the previous year, The Journal reported, citing figures from Rakuten Intelligence. In November, a YouGov consumer-perception survey found that the Ivanka Trump fashion line had fallen to the bottom 10 of more than 1,600 brands analysed.
Read more about Ivanka Trump’s brand:
- Online sales of Ivanka Trump’s brand reportedly plummeted in the last year
- Ivanka Trump is shutting down her fashion company – and reactions reveal another major division in America
- Ivanka Trump’s brand is immediately shutting down, but these stores will continue selling her products
- Ivanka Trump’s fashion brand is shutting down – and it is sparking questions about a 2024 presidential run
- People are congratulating the leaders of a massive anti-Trump boycott for shutting down Ivanka Trump’s fashion line
- Ivanka Trump distanced herself from her fashion line when her family moved into the White House, but she still reportedly made $US5 million off the company last year
- An anti-Trump movement is calling for the boycott of these 23 retailers
- A Canadian department store is the latest retailer to stop selling Ivanka Trump products
- Americans have worse perceptions of Ivanka Trump and Trump Hotels than almost any other brand in the US
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.