- Ivanka Trump is shuttering her fashion brand, the company announced on Tuesday.
- The first daughter said in a statement: “My focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington.”
- The decision to close the company has sparked questions about Ivanka Trump’s future in politics.
Ivanka Trump is shutting down her fashion brand. And, her decision is raising questions about the first daughter’s political future.
“After 17 months in Washington, I do not know when or if I will ever return to the business, but I do know that my focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington,” Trump said in a statement. “So making this decision now is the only fair outcome for my team and partners.”
Ivanka Trump’s fashion line has inspired both backlash and admiration across the United States since Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. Trump stepped back from the day-to-day operations of the brand when she became a top White House adviser in January 2017.
With her promise to focus on Washington, many people saw Trump’s decision to shut down the fashion brand as evidence of mounting political aspirations.
Some on the right are already celebrating a potential 2024 presidential campaign from the first daughter.
Which means Ivanka and her family will be in DC focused on making America great again for many years to come.
Liberals tend to miss the subtle points ???? pic.twitter.com/zrAG2vjy4c
— Cheryl (@cheryleliz) July 24, 2018
I am gobsmacked the #TheRethistance thinks this is THEIR win …
Now, unburdened by her lucrative hobby, our first daughter can now devote herself to her true destiny:
Motherhood, the continuation of the dynasty … and 2024
Thank you for playing.
"Ivanka Trump" pic.twitter.com/qY5QOz52gn
— ❌THEFiercekitty™❌ (@REALFiercekitty) July 24, 2018
At least some people on the left are making similar predictions – but regarded the potential political dynasty in a very different light.
Not to rain on anybody's parade since we're celebrating Ivanka Trump's unethical fashion line going the way of Trump Steaks, but it is a clear indicator that the Trumps are in DC to stay and want to be a political dynasty. Now even more essential that her dad is a one-term POTUS.
— Adam Best (@adamcbest) July 24, 2018
Some felt the decision was cause for concern and made comparisons to authoritarian regimes’ passing of power.
In April 2017, I warned that Trump was trying to create a dynastic kleptocracy, positioning Ivanka and Jared as successors. Her business decisions should be viewed in that context. https://t.co/FlaTsqvg3u pic.twitter.com/B2OpEXoLzw
— Sarah Kendzior (@sarahkendzior) July 24, 2018
Remember reporting in early week – they have always believed Trump would run our country his way, and when he was done, he would hand it to Ivanka – how it works in other authoritarian regimes. https://t.co/WUi8d0QREx
— Amy Siskind ????️???? (@Amy_Siskind) July 24, 2018
Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, reportedly made a deal that if the opportunity came for either of them to run for president, it would be Ivanka, according to Michael Wolff’s book “Fire and Fury,” published earlier in 2018.
Read more about Ivanka Trump’s brand:
- Ivanka Trump’s fashion company is shutting down
- Online sales of Ivanka Trump’s brand reportedly plummeted in the last year
- An anti-Trump movement is calling for the boycott of these 23 retailers
- People are congratulating the leaders of a massive anti-Trump boycott for shutting down Ivanka Trump’s fashion line
- Ivanka Trump is shutting down her fashion company – and reactions reveal another major division in America
- A Canadian department store is the latest retailer to stop selling Ivanka Trump products
- Americans have worse perceptions of Ivanka Trump and Trump Hotels than almost any other brand in the US
- TRUMP: Ivanka’s life would be ‘so much easier’ if she weren’t my daughter
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.