- Ivanka Trump is closing her fashion label.
- “After 17 months in Washington, I do not know when or if I will ever return to the business, but I do know that my focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington,” she said in a statement on Tuesday.
- The brand has been the target of a boycott movement for the past two years. Boycotters of the brand are now celebrating on social media.
Boycott-Trump supporters celebrated a major victory on Tuesday after Ivanka Trump announced her namesake brand would be shutting down.
“After 17 months in Washington, I do not know when or if I will ever return to the business, but I do know that my focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington,” Trump said in a statement on Tuesday. “So making this decision now is the only fair outcome for my team and partners.”
The company has been the target of a campaign launched in October 2016 by Shannon Coulter, a brand and digital strategist, under the #GrabYourWallet hashtag. Coulter encouraged people seeking a way to take concrete action against President Donald Trump to boycott companies – large and small – that do business with his family.
As a result, several brands such as Nordstrom, Jet.com, and Gilt dropped the Ivanka Trump fashion line in the past year. In July,Hudson’s Bay became the latest store to do so, citing poor performance as the reason for doing so.
Coulter addressed the closure in a series of tweets on Tuesday afternoon.
“Yes, it’s true: Ivanka Trump is shuttering her fashion line. Things may be close at the polls. They are not at the cash register. The big hearted, fair minded people hold the majority of the consumer power and we vote every single day,” she tweeted.
Now, some social-media users are celebrating the company’s closure on Twitter.
— Mo Pumpkins, Mo Problems ???? (@realfacade1) July 24, 2018
Abigail Klem, who took over as the president of the company when Trump stepped down from day-to-day operations in 2017, said in a statement that she and others at the company are “incredibly proud of the brand we have built and the content and product we’ve developed.”
“We’ve seen strong sales since the brand’s inception, which continued through this year with the successful launch of our rapidly growing e-commerce business,” Klem said.
“I know that this was a very difficult decision for Ivanka and I am very grateful for the opportunity to have led such a talented and committed team,” she continued. “When faced with the most unique circumstances, the team displayed strength and optimism.”
— Steve Ponedal✡️♿️⚾️ (@steveponedal) July 24, 2018
— Katelin (@cummingsgoings) July 24, 2018
Read more about Ivanka Trump’s brand:
- Ivanka Trump’s fashion company is shutting down
- An anti-Trump movement is calling for the boycott of these 23 retailers
- A Canadian department store is the latest retailer to stop selling Ivanka Trump products
- Americans have worse perceptions of Ivanka Trump and Trump Hotels than almost any other brand in the US
- TRUMP: Ivanka’s life would be ‘so much easier’ if she weren’t my daughter
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.