- ISIS claimed a deadly attack on a coalition patrol in northeastern Syria just weeks after US President Donald Trump said the group was defeated.
- US forces are among the casualties, Operation Inherent Resolve confirmed.
The terrorist group ISIS claimed a suicide attack that was carried out against US forces on patrol in northeastern Syria on Wednesday, just weeks after US President Donald Trump declared victory over ISIS and called for the withdrawal of US troops from the war-torn country.
The coalition forces on patrol were apparently approached by a suicide bomber near a popular restaurant in Manbij. The devastating blast killed more than a dozen people, including four Americans, Reuters reportedWednesday. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.
ISIS identifies the suicide attacker in Manbij, who reportedly caused Coalition casualties, as Abu Yasin al-Shami. Near Qasr Al-Omara restaurant. Claims 9 killed or injured. Says choppers were sent for rescue. pic.twitter.com/iAP2K41QPo
— Hassan Hassan (@hxhassan) January 16, 2019
The US-led coalition in Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve, confirmed that US troops were killed in the attack.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) has confirmed that four Americans were killed, specifically two US service members, one Department of Defence civilian, and one contractor supporting the DoD mission. Three service members were injured in the attack.
U.S. service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria today. We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time.
— OIR Spokesperson (@OIRSpox) January 16, 2019
Amid warnings from senior military leaders, diplomats, lawmakers, and experts that ISIS remained a dangerous threat despite the fall of the physical caliphate in Iraq and Syria, Trump declared victory over the deadly terrorist organisation in late December.
“We have won against ISIS,” Trump said in a video message on Dec. 19. “We’ve beaten them, and we’ve beaten them badly. We’ve taken back the land. And, now it’s time for our troops to come back home.”
The withdrawal process has already begun; however, only equipment has been pulled out. US troops are expected to follow at a later date. There are roughly 2,000 US troops serving in Syria.
The president has reportedly been briefed on the situation, but there has been no public reaction yet. “I am building by far the most powerful military in the world,” Trump previously tweeted. “ISIS hits us they are doomed!”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.