ISIS, the terrorist group also known as the Islamic State, ISIL, or Daesh, on Thursday claimed responsibility for the London terror attack from a day earlier that killed four people including the attacker and injured at least 40 others.
The terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack via a news agency linked to them, Amaq.
Authorities have said they believe only one person carried out the attack, in which a person drove a 4×4 through pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before stabbing a police officer to death outside the houses of the UK Parliament.
ISIS said the Westminster attacker was a “soldier of the Islamic State and carried out the attack in response to appeals targeting nationals of coalition countries.”
UK Prime Minister Theresa May on Thursday said the man who carried out the attack was born in Britain, had a history of extremism, and was known to police and intelligence officials.
— Michael S. Smith II (@MichaelSSmithII) March 23, 2017
The police confirmed on Thursday that it raided six addresses and arrested seven people in connection to the investigation into the attack.
More from Business Insider UK:
- GameStop tanks after missing on sales and signalling it will close some stores this year (GME)
- Meet the puppies that are trained by the military to find bombs on the battlefield
- There’s about to be a solar ‘boom’ in India and companies are lining up to profit
- Here’s how doctors fix knock-knee, a condition where a person’s knees are angled toward each other
- The owner of one of Austin’s most beloved taco places still shakes hands with everyone who comes through the door
NOW WATCH: Watch Trump’s budget director explain proposed cuts for after-school programs that feed children
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.