- The PS4 is a forward compatible system, meaning most of its games and a selection of other accessories are playable on the PS5.
- Not all apps are compatible with the PS5, however, and you might need some additional accessories or modifications to use the forward compatibility.
- All PS4 games released from this point on are guaranteed to be forward compatible with the PS5.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Suppose you’re an owner of Sony’s Playstation 4, and you’re thinking of upgrading to the next generation PlayStation console. In that case, there are several things you should take into consideration before deciding to put down $US500 for a PS5.
While the PS5 has faster loading speeds, 3D audio tech, a 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive, and more, one of its most significant features benefits PS4 console owners. Because the PS5 is largely backward compatible, this means that many elements of the PS4 experience are also forward compatible.
Forward compatibility is when an older console’s software can work on a newer console. In this case, many PS4 games are forward compatible, meaning they can run on a PS5.
Here’s what you should know about the PS4’s forward compatibility.
The PS4 is forward compatible
Nearly every game released for the PlayStation 4 will also run on the PlayStation 5. All you’ll need to do is insert the disk, or transfer the data using a USB storage drive or Wi-Fi transfer.
There are only eight PS4 games that can’t transfer over to the PS5. They are:
- “Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Volume One”
- “We Sing”
- “Hitman Go: Definitive Edition”
- “TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2”
- “Just Deal With It!”
- “Robinson: The Journey”
- “Joe’s Diner”
Sony has also claimed that every game published for the PS4 from this point forward will also be playable on the PS5.
If you own newer big-budget titles like “Call of Duty: Warzone,” “Cyberpunk 2077”, or “Watch Dogs: Legion,” your games might also be eligible for a free next-gen upgrade when you port them over to your PS5. These upgrades will ideally offer better graphics and performance speed.
Not all titles are upgradeable, however, and not all upgrades are free. Several games can be upgraded, but you might need to pay for it. The games’ publishers, not Sony, determine the upgrade cost.
And while it’s great that there are some PS5 games playable on the PS4, you may want to be selective about the number of titles you bring to your PS5. Its limited storage capacity can fill up fast, and may quickly force you to invest in an external hard drive.
Which PS4 games are forward compatible
Several PS4 games can receive a free or paid upgrade right now. Here’s a list of the currently available free games, followed by the paid upgrades. Some of the paid options come in bundles, and may have fine print noting that it’s not an upgrade but a save transfer option.
- “Assassin’s Creed Valhalla”
- “Borderlands 3”
- “Dead by Daylight”
- “DIRT 5”
- “Hitman 3” (digital version only)
- “King Oddball”
- “Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales”
- “Mortal Kombat 11”
- “No Man’s Sky”
- “Planet Coaster”
- “Sackboy: A Big Adventure”
- “The Pathless”
- “Watch Dogs Legion”
- “WRC 9”
- “Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War”
- “Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered”
- “Control: Ultimate Edition”
- “NBA 2K21”
Compatibility for PS4 accessories, accounts, and game data
By using your PlayStation Network login information, you can quickly transfer save data between the consoles. Sony has also said that while most games on the PS4 work with the PS5, games that involve the PS VR and camera may require some adjustments.
Ahead of the PS5’s release, the PlayStation blog confirmed that the following hardware would all be forward compatible â€” though, as previously noted, some of it has strings attached.
- Officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, flight sticks, and other specialty peripherals.
- Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, or any third-party headsets that connects to the console through a USB port or audio jack. (Note: Unfortunately, the headset app is not compatible.)
- Any licensed third-party gamepad controllers and the DualShock 4 wireless controller for supported PS4 games.
- For compatible PS VR games played on PS5, the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller.
- embed type
- embed type