Just because Chipotle was just hit by another food poisoning scandal doesn’t mean you should stop eating at the burrito chain.
On Tuesday, news broke that Chipotle has closed a restaurant in Sterling, Virginia, after multiple reports of customers getting sick after eating there. The news caused Chipotle’s stock to fall.
However, according to food poisoning expert Bill Marler, the apparent norovirus outbreak doesn’t mean you should avoid the chain.
“A norovirus outbreaks tends to be just at one restaurant,” Marler told Business Insider.
So, unlike in a case of E. coli, which can contaminate food before it is distributed to restaurants, locations in New York City are unlikely to be impacted by a norovirus outbreak in Sterling, Virginia. As long as you haven’t eaten at that location before it was shut down, you should be in the clear.
In general, Marler says that he considers Chipotle a “safe” option that has done major work to improve food safety since its 2015 E. coli outbreak. It’s a chain that suffers from bad luck and negative customer associations — not necessarily improper food preparation conditions.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.