- Iranian forces launched a series of ballistic missiles against two US-occupied bases in Iraq early Wednesday morning.
- Iranian state TV has aired clips that it says show the moment its military launched the missiles from their bases amid bright orange fire into the dark sky.
- An Iranian flag can be seen in the top left corner of the video – an apparent show of national unity.
- Watch it below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Iranian state TV has aired a clip that it says shows the moment its military launched ballistic missiles toward US-occupied bases in Iraq on Wednesday, in apparent retaliation for the US drone strike that killed top military commander Qassem Soleimani last week.
The US Department of Defence confirmed the missile strike, saying it was “clear” that the missiles were launched from Iran and targeted two military bases at Al-Assad and Irbil that host US and Iraqi troops. No injuries have been reported.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has also claimed responsibility for the attack.
The video, aired on Islamic Republic of Iran News Network (IRINN) at 1:40 p.m. local time, showed footage of multiple missiles being launched from their bases amid bright orange fire and smoke into the dark sky.
Watch it here:
Iranian state TV has just aired video it says shows launch of missile strikes on US bases in Iraq pic.twitter.com/HhFskIkQqP
— BBC Monitoring (@BBCMonitoring) January 8, 2020
An Iranian flag can be seen in the top left corner of the state-TV report – an apparent show of national unity after days of showing a black strip to mourn Soleimani’s death, according to BBC Monitoring journalist Kian Sharifi.
Hours after the missile strike President Donald Trump tweeted that “all is well,” while Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javid Zarif tweeted that the strikes were “proportionate measures of self-defence” against the US’ “cowardly armed attack” against Soleimani.
- Read more:
- Iran fires more than a dozen ballistic missiles at US forces in Iraq in apparent retaliation for the killing of top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani
- Iranian official trolls Trump by tweeting Iran’s flag after missile attack on US troops
- Iran claims its missile strike against US troops was made in ‘self-defence’ after Trump’s ‘cowardly’ attack
- Pelosi reportedly told a room full of House Democrats to ‘pray’ following news of Iranian attack on US forces in Iraq
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.