- Three of the top four US carriers are offering discounts on the iPhone X if you trade in your old phone.
- But there are catches to the promotions you should know about.
The iPhone X is Apple’s most expensive phone to date with a starting price of $US999.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t score a sizeable discount on the hotly anticipated device before it officially goes on sale November 3.
Most of the big carriers in the US are offering a roughly $US300 discount on the iPhone X if you trade in your old phone. But as always, there are caveats you should consider before choosing to buy through your carrier instead of directly from Apple.
We’ve rounded together the top carrier offers for the iPhone X below and what you need to know about each deal:
- $US300 off with trade-in of iPhone 6s or newer, Galaxy S7 or newer, Google Pixel XL, LG G6, or Moto Z2 Force.
- $US200 off with trade-in of iPhone 6, iPhone SE, Galaxy S6, Galaxy Note 5, Google Pixel, LG G5, LG V20, Moto Z Force, Moto Z Droid, or Moto Z2 Play.
- $US100 off with trade-in of iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Note 4, HTC 10, or Moto Z Play.
- Caveats: To qualify, you have to be a current or new subscriber to either Verizon’s “Go Unlimited” or “Beyond Unlimited” plan. If you’re already a Verizon customer, you have to be eligible for an upgrade. Lastly, you have to buy the iPhone X directly from Verizon and be willing to get the trade-in discount as a monthly credit over 24 months.
- Up to $US300 off with trade-in of iPhone 6 or newer.
- Caveats: T-Mobile says it will give “up to” $US300 off the iPhone 8 or X with the trade-in of an iPhone 6 or newer. But exactly how much you get back is determined by the model you’re trading in and its condition. Like Verizon, the credit is given out in 24 monthly installments. You also have to be on one of T-Mobile’s monthly instalment plans, including its “Jump On Demand” plan.
- $US350 off with trade-in of iPhone 6 or newer, Galaxy S7 or newer, Galaxy Note 5, LG G5 or newer, Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Moto Z Droid, Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Moto Z Force Droid, Moto Z2 Play, HTC U11, and BlackBerry KeyOne.
- Caveats: The credit is given in 18 monthly installments through Sprint’s Flex leasing program, which ends up lowering the monthly cost for the phone but requires you to turn it back in after 18 months or pay off the remaining balance. You can also upgrade the phone after 12 months by trading it in, and Sprint says it will match any other carrier’s discount for the iPhone X if you find a better deal elsewhere.
AT&T has yet to announce any deals for the iPhone X. We will update this story if it does.