The new iPad’s debut triggered comparisons to how it stacks up to prior versions: Camera. Battery life. Price. Storage. But there’s an easily overlooked feature of the iPad that makes it attractive to major retailers: it’s portable and comfortable enough to shop in bed.At least one study shows the most common time to browse on the iPad is at 10:00p.m. And e-commerce pros such as investor One Kings Lane investor Aileen Lee have described the new pre-bedtime iPad ritual. Consumers who might not gladly sit with a hot, clunky laptop may be converted into casual evening shoppers by the iPad. Those minutes of nighttime browsing could mean billions in revenue for e-tailers, given the whopping $400 billion monthly retail sector in the US. The time you might’ve spent reading a magazine could be replaced by a quick flip through the mag’s beautiful new HTML 5 website, and an impulse-purchase of a new bracelet from an interactive ad. Or you might take a peek at new Facebook photos and then take advantage of a targeted, branded coupon.
You can hear about the future of commerce on the iPad, Facebook, Pinterest, smartphones, Twitter, and more at Social Commerce Summit, Business Insider’s conference on digital commerce and social media, in Chicago on June 7. Top startups and innovative marketers from Fortune 500 mega-brands will convene to share cutting-edge strategies and insight into consumer behaviour. The event kicked off in New York last month with revelations about blowing past your annual targets in three weeks and which social platforms are actually winning.
And now we’re launching in the Windy City. Tickets are on sale now at a special early-bird rate, and there are group discounts available. On June 7, you’ll hear from incredible speakers like:
- Eric Lefkofsky, Co-founder, Groupon
- Katia Beauchamp, Co-founder, Birchbox
- Jill Braff, EVP, Home Shopping Network
- Kim Musgrave, Customer Satisfaction Manager, McDonald’s
- And more announced on a rolling basis! NYC brands included Walmart, J&J, Heineken, and Martha Stewart.
Top questions and themes that speakers will address include:
- Cracking The Product Discovery Code
- The Big-Brand Perspective: How I Get More From My Marketing Dollars
- Engagement Is The New Marketing: How Do You Build Community?
- ROI: Where’s The Money In Social Marketing And How Do You Measure It?
- Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Foursquare: How Do You Pick The Right Platform For Your Marketing Goals?
Got an idea for a theme or speaker? Send it to [email protected] You can follow @BI_Events on Twitter for more updates and discounts. See you in June at Social Commerce Summit Chicago!
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.