Apple’s new operating system for iPhones and iPads, iOS 6 is out now. The update is rolling out slowly, probably to save Apple’s servers from going down. So if you don’t see it right away, keep checking.
iOS 6 is set to bring over 200 features to your mobile Apple devices, including it’s own sub-par Maps app.
It’s easy to download iOS 6.
From your Apple device’s home screen, tap the “Settings” app.
Next tap “General”, and towards the top you’ll see an option for “Software Update”.
Tap “Software Update” and then you will see an option to install. Accept the terms of agreement and your device will verify the update.
Make sure you have your device connected to WiFi and plugged into a power source.
iOS 6 is compatible with:
- iPhone: 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5
- iPad: 2 and the new iPad
- iPod touch: 4th generation and 5th generation
Remember, your Maps will now look drastically different. So, if you use the subway you may want to reconsider upgrading. This is because Apple is now using its own mapping service instead of Google Maps. And from what we’re hearing it isn’t’ good.
But Apple’s Maps do have some good features, like 3D mapping, turn by turn directions, and traffic support.
Besides Maps, Siri has also been beefed up. The virtual assistant can now tell you sports scores, book a reservation at your favourite restaurant, and let you know what movies are playing nearby.
Over the past few days we’ve written a bit about the new operating system, for your reference here’s a list:
- Here’s Why Android Is Better Than Apple’s New Operating System For The iPhone
- Here’s How iOS 6 Stacks Up Against Windows Phone 8
- Here’s What You Need To Know About iOS 6, Apple’s New Operating System For iPhones And iPads
- Apple Partner: Your New iPhone May Get You Lost
- Here’s Some Good Evidence The iPhone’s New Maps App Will Stink
- As Soon As You Update Your iPhone Software Today, You’re Going To Lose Google Maps And It’s Going To Be Awful
Cult of Mac discovered direct links to download iOS 6. Here you go:
- iPhone 3GS Download
- iPhone 4 Download
- iPod Touch 4G Download
- iPhone 4 (Verizon) Download
- iPad 2 (Wi-Fi) Download
- iPad 2 (AT&T) Download
- iPad 2 (Verizon) Download
- iPhone 4S Download
- iPad 2 (2012 Model) Download
- iPad 3 (Wi-Fi) Download
- iPad 3 (AT&T) Download
- iPad 3 (Verizon) Download
- iPhone 4 (AT&T) Download
- iPod (5th Generation) Download
Look out for our full review of iOS 6 later on.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.