- Apple’s iOS 12 will be available Monday.
- The new mobile operating system will have some significant changes, including how notifications are displayed, updates to the Photos app, and a new augmented-reality Measure app to take measurements with only your iPhone camera.
- Apple says older iPhone models should also get a speed boost after downloading the new operating system.
If you’ve been itching to try Apple’s latest operating system, you’re in luck – iOS 12 will be available to download on Monday, Apple announced at its keynote event on Wednesday.
iOS 12 will come with some significant updates, including a speed boost for older iPhones, a change to the notification system, a new augmented-reality app, and more.
Here are some of the most notable iOS 12 features:
- A speed boost for older iPhones: Apple says it boasts 40% faster app launches, 50% faster keyboard opening, and 70% faster camera opening.
- With notification grouping on the lock screen, push notifications will be stacked and grouped by app and topic.
- With “Siri Shortcuts,” you’ll be able to tell Siri to complete certain strings of commands and tasks.
- CarPlay, the iPhone integration with certain car infotainment systems, will support Google Maps and Waze.
- “Screen Time” adds the ability to monitor and limit your time in certain apps.
- The Photos app will be updated with new search suggestions.
- A new augmented-reality Measure app will let you – ahem – measure distances with only your phone camera.
- Apple plans to add FaceTime calling with up to 32 participants later this year, but it won’t be in the iOS 12 release on Monday.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.